British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-17, 08:14 PM

Default Opinions on this CABC Patch

I recently picked up this Canadian Airborne Centre subdued patch and looking for some opinions on it and a possible time period of issue. I haven't seen one before, which is what interested me.

Old 11-07-17, 10:27 PM

Default Airborne

Shoulder flash for the Canadian Airborne Center, this was the heavy drop section of the Airborne Center. They would pallet large items including vehicles for air drop, back in the 1980's they were in Edmonton, then I believe they moved to Petawawa.
It was quite a sight to see some of the equipment coming down, some had three and four parachutes. They also were the loadmasters for the Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System (LAPES).
Old 11-07-17, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

I have never seen this patch before. The construction is typical of the earlier combat insignia, with the loose cotton backing material.
What does ALSTW stand for?
Old 12-07-17, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
. . . What does ALSTW stand for?
Air Logistics Support Training Wing (or at least that's what it says on the cover of a pam that I still have from a course there)
Old 12-07-17, 02:09 PM

There was a subdued version like this and a maroon version.
Old 12-07-17, 07:30 PM

Tanker Mike...from what I can gather, the CABC name was changed in 95 after the CAB ceased to exist.? When did the CF start calling the centre the CABC? I initially thought this patch was from the early 70's. Thanks.
Old 13-07-17, 02:44 PM

I am not sure, I do know this type of patch with the cotton back is typical of 1970's to early 1980's, my version has the plastic back.
Old 13-07-17, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Tanker Mike...from what I can gather, the CABC name was changed in 95 after the CAB ceased to exist.? When did the CF start calling the centre the CABC? I initially thought this patch was from the early 70's. Thanks.
The CABC title probably came about when Canadian parachute training (and other associated courses) moved to Edmonton from Rivers, Manitoba in 1970. The organization that had provided that training previously had been called the Canadian Joint Air Training Centre. The CABC continued for a while following the disbandment of the regiment and the title was changed only after that function moved from Edmonton (which was closing as an air base) to Trenton in 1996 where it was retitled as the Canadian Parachute Centre. Several years later it was again renamed to the Canadian Forces Land Advanced Warfare Centre (CFLAWC) and then to the present title of Canadian Army Advanced Warfare Centre (CAAWC).

Last edited by Blackadder1916; 13-07-17 at 08:04 PM.
Old 27-07-17, 10:21 PM

Default Canadian Airborne Center

Here is the colour version, I have seen the subdued version worn on a jump smock on the sleeve but never seen this version worn on a uniform.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5656.jpg (49.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 28-07-17, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the name of the abbreviation Blackadder.
As Mike says, the construction of the patch is typical of the 1970's or early 80's. (The loose weave cotton backing material.)
Old 28-07-17, 12:37 AM

Thanks gents for the reviews and information on this CABC patch...this one will stay in my airborne collection.