British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-07-13, 12:48 AM

Default Canadian Parachute Qualification Wings Descriptions

Type 1 wing – The parachute canopy is well defined showing each section with 8 fine stitched zig zag shroud lines that start at the outer edges of the canopy extending down to the Maple Leaf. The maple leaf itself extends below the actual wing and appears to be dark gold or bronze in colour. It almost appears there is no stem extending below the Maple Leaf, but upon close inspection, a very small fine stem can be seen.

The wings themselves have a mild slope upwards towards the ends of the wings tips. The outer tips of the wing curve more upwards to a fine point. Starting at the tips and working your way down to the Maple Leaf, you will notice 5 well defined sections or steps in the wings as you get to the bottom where they meet the Maple Leaf. The background base material is very dark green in colour, almost appearing black under some lighting. The reverse side of the wing has a very fine black cloth backing. The canopy, shroud lines and wings are all the same colour white stitching. When found in unissued condition, the distinguishable cut of the dark green background reveals three lobes at the bottom of the border.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 1 - front.jpg (37.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Type 1 - back.jpg (40.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-07-13, 12:55 AM

Default Type 2 Wing

Type 2 wing – The parachute canopy shows weak detail but does have 7 faint sections. There are 8 finely stitched shroud lines starting at the very outer edges of the canopy evenly spaced down to the maple leaf. The canopy skirt seems to be flat or straight across from side to side. The canopy is noticeably fuller or taller, appearing as a one half of a circle. The Maple Leaf does not extend beyond the lower edge of the wing and appears to be more of a dark yellow tone. There is a noticeable stem that extends down. The crude Maple Leaf itself has been described as more of a ‘pot leaf’ rather than a Maple Leaf.

The wings slope upwards with a mild curve towards the outer tips. When you start at the outer tips and work your way down to the Maple Leaf, you will notice it is a fairly smooth transition from one section to the next and not noticeable steps as seen with other wing types. There are 5 sections with low definition to the wings. The background material is noticeably dark green. Some have also been observed with a lighter green base. The reverse side of this wing has fine black cloth backing. (Unfortunately the picture I have posted is a padded version) The parachute canopy and shroud lines are the same white stitching while the actual wings appear to be a slightly ‘off white’ in colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 2 - front.jpg (41.5 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Type 2 - back.jpg (31.6 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by cw2311; 02-07-13 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 01:01 AM

Default Type 2 Wing (U.S. version?)

Type 2 wing (U.S. Production?) – It has a strong resemblance to the standard Type 2 wing with many crude details but not as broad across in appearance. The canopy is tall with a peak at the apex and the 8 shroud lines are very fine stitched and equally spaced down to the Maple Leaf. The background or base material however is black in colour. The reverse side has crude looking white mesh material unlike other war time production Canadian wings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 2 - front (u.s.).jpg (46.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Type 2 -back (u.s.).jpg (64.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 02-07-13, 01:11 AM

Default Type 3 Wing

Type 3 wing – The parachute canopy shows 7 sections with reasonable detail. There are 8 ‘chunkier’ zig zag stitched shroud lines that start at the outer edges of the canopy working their way down to the maple leaf. The Maple Leaf design appears to have a crude but thicker or fuller bronze coloured Maple Leaf. The Maple Leaf itself extends slightly below the actual wings base line. The wing is stitched onto a very dark green background material.

The wings themselves are fairly flat across the top with only the very slightest curve upwards at the wing tips. When you start at the outer wing tips and work your way down, you can see each step in the row of feathering. The reverse side has a fine black cloth material. (I can’t find my lose wing to photograph the back) The canopy, shroud lines and wings all appear to be the same colour white stitching.

*** If anyone has a loose Type 3 wing that they can post a picture of the reverse side would be appreciated.***
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 3 - front.jpg (72.2 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by cw2311; 02-07-13 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 01:21 AM

Default Type 4 Wing

Type 4 wing – The parachute canopy is very well detailed showing 7 clear sections. There are 8 thin shroud lines which start at the outer edge of the canopy. The canopy is well defined and the base of the canopy is straight across with small curves from shroud line to shroud line. The Maple Leaf extends below the wing itself and appears to be a vibrant gold colour. There is a stem that is noticeable from the bottom of the Maple Leaf as it points almost straight down. This Maple Leaf is similar to the Type 2 wing being more like a ‘pot leaf’ in style.

The well defined wings themselves appear to be almost flat or straight across nearly in line with the lower portion of the canopy with only the tips of the wings mildly sweeping upwards. When you start at the wing tips and work your way down to the Maple Leaf, you will notice the each defined step along the way from section to section. The background is a very dark green, almost appearing black in certain light conditions. The reverse side of the wing has a black cloth backing, however slightly different than your more commonly seen cotton version. The canopy, shroud lines and wings all appear to have the same white colour stitching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 4 - front.jpg (41.9 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Type 4 - back.jpg (43.8 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by cw2311; 02-07-13 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 01:26 AM

Default Type 5 Wing

Type 5 wing – The parachute canopy is detailed showing 7 panel sections. This wing has ‘daisy chain’ style stitching shroud lines that start at the outer edge of the canopy and work their way down evenly to the Maple Leaf. The canopy itself has a high peak or egg shape top. The dull bronze /gold Maple Leaf itself extends below the actual wings. The Maple Leaf is proportioned and appears to be a fuller version. The actual stem of the Maple Leaf extends below curving slightly to the right.

The wings themselves have a nice gradual but pronounced curve up to the outer tips. When you start at the outer tips and work your way down to the Maple Leaf, the sections are well defined and have gradual steps at each section. The background material appears to be black. The reverse side material is a fine black fabric. The canopy and shroud lines are white while the wings are different in colour, being ‘off white’ in appearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 5 - front.jpg (42.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Type 5 - back.jpg (42.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-07-13, 01:33 AM

Default Type 6 Wing

Type 6 wing - Its appearance makes it one of the easiest to identify being entirely different than all other Canadian war time airborne wings. The shallow parachute canopy is plain with no definition. It has 7 thicker stitched shroud lines which blend in the outer edge of the shallow canopy evenly spaced down to the dull lemon yellow Maple Leaf. The Maple Leaf itself extends below the bottom of the actual wing. The Maple Leaf is a fuller version with the stem pointing straight down.

The well defined wings themselves appear to be horizontal with only the wing tips flaring up slightly. The parachute canopy and wings are matching white colour throughout. The base or background material is very similar to hunter green in colour. The reverse side of the wing has been observed with two different finishing methods. 1) Sizing or commonly known as ‘starch back’ application and the second lesser seen version is a fine weave khaki material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 6 - front.jpg (38.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Type 6 - back (cloth).jpg (48.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Type 6 - back (starch).jpg (45.8 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by cw2311; 02-07-13 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 01:34 AM

Thumbs up

That’s it gents, I hope this has been helpful. If you have anything else to add that would enhance the description, please do.

Cheers!
Old 03-07-13, 12:18 AM

Thank you very much! The detailed descriptions give me the points to pay attention to. For me, it's the type 2 and 3 wings that seem to get confused with the post war wings. Even the type 1 shares many characteristics with the common 1960's issue wings including the scalloped shape to the backing material. Hopefully with this guide the differences will be more apparent. Thank you for taking the time to educate the rest of us.
Old 03-07-13, 12:38 AM

Ken Joyce has advised me that he has almost completed his small booklet on wing identification. This will show every wing up to unification, in colour.
Old 03-07-13, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Ken Joyce has advised me that he has almost completed his small booklet on wing identification. This will show every wing up to unification, in colour.
Clive,

Is Ken including measurements as part of his descriptions?

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 03-07-13, 01:17 AM

I considered adding measurements with the descriptions provided, however this is a bit of a double edged sword with too many details. I can appreciate that people want the information to assist them with collecting, however others are looking to create better repros to make a dishonest dollar.

I look forward to Ken’s book.
Old 03-07-13, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Looking forward to it with great anticipation.
Old 03-07-13, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info CW!!
Old 06-07-13, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the descriptions, I look forward to Ken's booklet.

Joe