British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-18, 03:50 PM

Default Record prices for canvas flashes?

Two canvas flashes were recently sold on ebay, one was for the 1CANPARA and the other was for the Film and Photo Unit.

The 1CANPARA sold for $450, the Film and Photo sold for an unbelievable price of $924.00. Both are excellent examples of original flashes but I was shocked at the prices.

Mike

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/352322297151?ul_noapp=true

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/323189442905?ul_noapp=true
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6537.jpg (49.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6538.jpg (54.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6539.jpg (50.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6540.jpg (52.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 13-04-18, 04:36 PM

The Film unit example is rare but as a cloth collector im always stunned the high prices people will pay for an unused badge , surly the fact it was worn in battle or even at least in war time is the real value ,this is why I dont understand medal collecting , if I had the choice of a military medal awarded for bravery OR the tunic he wore winning the medal it would be the tunic every time .........just my thoughts .
Old 14-04-18, 12:34 AM

Default para

I didn't like the para flash. It was not taken off an uniform as far as I could see. The back had considerable glue residue on it, and the flash appeared faded from too much sun. Not my cup of tea for that price
Old 14-04-18, 02:35 AM

Hi Gents,

I must agree in regards a general comment on cloth badges. As much as I understand why collectors would want a fine unused examples, I think it's hard to beet a nice 'salty' patch with signs of wear, as such patches just have great character.

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 14-04-18, 07:18 PM

I must admit that to me the flashes looked quite faded, which was enough to make me back off in bidding.
Old 14-04-18, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

The Film & Photo price realized was a record for a Cdn piece of cloth. But as discussed above, it is not a piece I would want for my collection at the price. There are embroidered examples of the same, which are harder to find. And there are about a half dozen printed examples of the Lanark & Renfrew printed titles extant, much much much rarer than the F & P. Only samples were made, probably either 6 or 12.
Old 14-04-18, 11:26 PM

There was a 1st Can para title that sold on eBay a few months ago for around the $900 mark.
Most collectors want mint unissued titles.
The film and photo title price surprised me for being a dirty example.
Old 15-04-18, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
The Film unit example is rare but as a cloth collector im always stunned the high prices people will pay for an unused badge , surly the fact it was worn in battle or even at least in war time is the real value ,this is why I dont understand medal collecting , if I had the choice of a military medal awarded for bravery OR the tunic he wore winning the medal it would be the tunic every time .........just my thoughts .
I am the same with identity discs. I collect them because they were actually "there" on the battlefield.

Whilst I do have some medals many of the soldiers did not live to see them, and those that did mostly got them after the wars had ended.
Old 15-06-18, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The Film & Photo price realized was a record for a Cdn piece of cloth. But as discussed above, it is not a piece I would want for my collection at the price. There are embroidered examples of the same, which are harder to find. And there are about a half dozen printed examples of the Lanark & Renfrew printed titles extant, much much much rarer than the F & P. Only samples were made, probably either 6 or 12.
I sold an original (printed Film Photo unit) through my website about 6 months ago for £600 which is over $1000 Canadian.

There are people out there who want this stuff bad!
Old 02-07-18, 11:32 PM

1st Can Para canvas flashes have fluctuated between the $450 - $650 mark for several years now. Obviously different mind set on what’s more appealing, mint unissued vs well used/worn. I can appreciate both collector perspectives. The film & Photo unit flash on the other hand appears to have become an obsession, I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for one. But if anyone is looking for a couple mint ones, I would consider $2200 for the pair.
Old 03-07-18, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Hi jdr, can you post a link to your website please?
Old 09-07-18, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi jdr, can you post a link to your website please?
www.chairbornemilitaria.co.uk