British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-03-18, 10:39 AM

Default Sudan Peoples Liberation Army

I have long been interested in the many different forces that have been established in Africa. Many of these forces lasted for a very short time - too short to actually have had badges manufactured. This was a fairly early badge of the Sudan Peoples Liberation Army which was established to gain the independence of South Sudan. As we know, South Sudan is now independent but is one of the poorest and most troubled countries on the continent.
While not strictly a badge from Southern Africa, I hope that you will allow me a little latitude ( no pun intended !)
Regards
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spla1.jpg (36.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg spla2.jpg (29.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 28-03-18, 07:09 PM

Mike

This is a first for me, thought most of these so called "liberation armies" wore cloth or in some cases like Unita plastic insignia.

Nice, thanks for posting.
Old 14-06-18, 07:06 AM

Hi Mike

Here is an SPLA MP badge I was given 2 or 3 years ago by another Forum member, I'm guessing used by their Military Police. Seems to be made of a light hard plastic, or even a piece of ancient dried-out lino, overpainted in red and white, and measures approx. 33mm in diameter.

Hope it is of interest

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01June2018 028b.jpg (75.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 01June2018 029b.jpg (74.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 01June2018 027b.jpg (93.5 KB, 2 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 14-06-18, 12:19 PM

It makes sense. One of the poorest countries in the world and so their badges aren't the best quality. That said, still an interesting piece of historical memorabilia. A lot harder to find than most of the "pretty "badges that populate most collections. You have probably got the only one extant. Look after it.
Regards
Mike