British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-12-17, 04:59 PM

Default Unusual Cdn Airborne wing

Here is an unusual Cdn Airborne combat wing. It appears to be a test or trials version from late 1960's/1970's from the look of the starch back. I have not seen this type before and can not find any reference in any of the usual books. It sold on ebay for $242.00 Cdn.

Perhaps it was the trial version before the usual jump smock type with the red or white maple leaf.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6241.jpg (54.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6242.jpg (56.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-12-17, 05:53 PM

Good day Mike,

Yes, this was the trial version of the Cdn. para qual just after Unification.

You can find info on it in Grimshaw's book (if you can find a copy), Bennet's book on Cdn. jump wings, and, IIRC, in Joyce's book. There is even a photo of a worn one in the second edition of B&T.

Not a whole lot produced, just for trial. Like most of the other Hazardous Skill badges, it was decided to not go with all of them due to the potential damage caused by constant application and removal on the Combat coats and jackets.

Apparently, after the wings were rejected for issue, some of the production lot was handed to Brit Airborne troops doing a friendship jump in Canada.

So, they are rare, and I can see the price being paid if someone REALLY wanted one as part of their Cdn para collection, especially as the wings in the attached photo look mint.

Ian B
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 05-12-17, 07:02 PM

I looked in Ken's book and couldn't find em, old eyes I guess
Old 05-12-17, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

(It didn't make it into Jump Wings.)
Old 05-12-17, 07:33 PM

Sorry, Mike. At work and no access to my reference material. Wasn't 100% sure if the subj wing was in "Jump Wings" or not. Know you will find it in the other three.

Ian B
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"