British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-12, 11:38 AM

Default T8grenade title

I would like to confirm that the attached shoulder title fragment belongs to the 8th Bn (TF) Lancashire Fusiliers (or is it 8th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers TF)? I am basing my assumption both upon Westlake and on an online list of Territorial Bns of the Great War. Both sources indicate that the only Fusilieer Regiment to have an 8th Territorial Bn was the Lancashire Fusiliers.
The next point is that the ST appears to have been an officers issue as the material is OSD bronze, die-cast. A squint at the blurred scan of the back of the grenade flames gives an indication of this. Prior to now I was unaware that Officers STs were manufactured in osd bz. If it were not for the fact that half the grenade was still attached to the numeral, I would have been none the wiser. A plus point in always examining backs of items, even fragments.
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T8LFtitle_0001.jpg (82.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg T8LFtitle_0002.jpg (62.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-06-12, 12:14 PM

From memory, there was an 8th (Service) Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment), but somehow I would not associate a sawn-off badge like that with them
johnG

Last edited by johnG; 11-06-12 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-06-12, 02:16 PM

Thanks johnG for yr input. Actually, badge is not sawn-off. Granted it's difficult to see in the scans, but it has a curvature where it has snapped off at neck of bomb.
Would a Service Bn have letter T also, or is that only applicable to the Territorial Bns?
Rgds, GTB
Old 11-06-12, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
I would like to confirm that the attached shoulder title fragment belongs to the 8th Bn (TF) Lancashire Fusiliers (or is it 8th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers TF)? I am basing my assumption both upon Westlake and on an online list of Territorial Bns of the Great War. Both sources indicate that the only Fusilieer Regiment to have an 8th Territorial Bn was the Lancashire Fusiliers.
The next point is that the ST appears to have been an officers issue as the material is OSD bronze, die-cast. A squint at the blurred scan of the back of the grenade flames gives an indication of this. Prior to now I was unaware that Officers STs were manufactured in osd bz. If it were not for the fact that half the grenade was still attached to the numeral, I would have been none the wiser. A plus point in always examining backs of items, even fragments.
GTB
It would indeed be an 8th Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers(TF) s/t, and could possibly be repaired. I'm unsure that it could possibly be an officers title, but one of our LF buffs could possibly put us right on that one, as this pattern of title wasn't generally worn by TF officers during this period - certainly not by the NF, nor do I recall seeing any bronzed s/t's being worn in period photo's of TF officers.
Old 11-06-12, 05:05 PM

Thanks Graham, my thinking entirely. The scans don't do justice to the item but I can assure the Forum that the metal certainly appears to be the light osd bz, however I can always be mistaken in this. I am wondering what would happen to this type of bronze after being rubbed with a proprietary brass cleaner!! No change at all? Or would the coating be stripped to reveal a brass underlay? Can anyone who has experienced this intervention please advise?
Thanks, GTB
Old 11-06-12, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Thanks Graham, my thinking entirely. The scans don't do justice to the item but I can assure the Forum that the metal certainly appears to be the light osd bz, however I can always be mistaken in this. I am wondering what would happen to this type of bronze after being rubbed with a proprietary brass cleaner!! No change at all? Or would the coating be stripped to reveal a brass underlay? Can anyone who has experienced this intervention please advise?
Thanks, GTB
There are possibly only three WO's that would be clothed in 'officers' pattern SD jackets, which could possibly warrant a quality s/t differing from the O/R's - Sgt Major(RSM from 1915) - QMS(later RQMS) & Bandmaster.

However in the case of the Sgt Major, most, if not all pre-1915, were seconded from regular battalions - clothed and badged as such.