British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-06-12, 08:30 PM

These are almost certainly not Irish guards badges although there are two metal collar badges to the IG that I can think of the Foreign Service frock collars (which these are not) and the NCO tropical mess dress collar badges (which I have only heard of and never seen).

Silver shamrocks with screw fittings were the first pattern cross belt pouch badge for the Royal Iish Rangers officers replaced very quickly by the "Barossa Eagle" . I have one of these and will post it later. I thought that the stem only went to the right, as viewed, on these.

You might have South African Irish items. Can you post better quality photos?

John
Old 10-06-12, 11:41 AM

Hi Guys London Irish Rifles
not my area of collecting
but thought these may be useful to this thread
got them a while ago as a group
comments welcome
Julian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.06.2012 001.jpg (53.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 10.06.2012 002.jpg (67.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 10.06.2012 003.jpg (56.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 10.06.2012 004.jpg (52.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 10.06.2012 005.jpg (35.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 10.06.2012 006.jpg (33.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-06-12, 01:18 PM

below the image of what I have been informed is the Royal Irish Rangers first pattern officers cross belt pouch badge . Note the fitments. the badge appears to be silver. This is the only reference I have come across to these badges with scew post fitments. I would not have expected them to make a facing pair tp address "Mikeden's" post.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIRangers pouch badge.jpg (24.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-06-12, 02:40 PM

John,
I have two patern of collar for the Sth. African Irish all with clutch pins and I have one identical Shamrock with screw posts which I assumed was also a Sth. African Irish collar. If it is a Royal Irish Rangers pouch badge it seems very small, at aprox 25mm X 25mm.
Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sth African Irish collars.jpg (83.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Shamrock.jpg (57.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-06-12, 04:13 PM

Sorry have posted wrong shoulder title with my pictures should be T 18
not T 28
thanks Peter
Julian
Old 10-06-12, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
John,
If it is a Royal Irish Rangers pouch badge it seems very small, at aprox 25mm X 25mm.
Eddie
Eddie,

yes it would be one of the smaller pouch badges, and perhaps the smaller ones are cross belt boss badges. The info I had came from an online forum, I have mislaid who provided it. I do remember they mentioned they had worked/served at St Patrick's Barracks. Apparently worn on formation but only for a short period. Mentioned in the first edition dress regulations (which I have not seen), apparently photos exist with General Harris wearing it in 1968. A smaller version also worn on the cross belt boss.

Can our S. African freinds comment on whether the S.A. Irish would have collar badges with screw post fittings, or indeed any accouterment badges that would justify screw posts?

John
Old 10-06-12, 08:51 PM

John,
Thank you for your reply and I hope our Sth. African Members know whether they are Sth. African Irish Regiment.
I hope to be in the Royal Irish Museum (RUR) sometime in the next couple of weeks, I will take the screw post shamrock with me and see if they know whether the Rangers used them. I will let you know what they say.
Whether they are Sth African Irish, Royal Irish Rangers or London Irish Rifles they do not look like WW1 era.
Eddie
Old 11-06-12, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paj1 View Post
Hi Guys London Irish Rifles
not my area of collecting
but thought these may be useful to this thread
got them a while ago as a group
comments welcome
Julian
Julian

I am not sure that the harp with crown collar badge is a London Irish item. To the best of my knowledge only shamrocks were worn (by all ranks) until recent times when the A/A QC harps were introduced for O/R.

John
Old 11-06-12, 12:26 PM

John
Thanks for information
the items all came together as a group so the harp may have been added
at some time?
Julian
Old 11-06-12, 10:46 PM

Will get better photos posted thanks for your help
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
These are almost certainly not Irish guards badges although there are two metal collar badges to the IG that I can think of the Foreign Service frock collars (which these are not) and the NCO tropical mess dress collar badges (which I have only heard of and never seen).

Silver shamrocks with screw fittings were the first pattern cross belt pouch badge for the Royal Iish Rangers officers replaced very quickly by the "Barossa Eagle" . I have one of these and will post it later. I thought that the stem only went to the right, as viewed, on these.

You might have South African Irish items. Can you post better quality photos?

John
Old 11-06-12, 10:55 PM

Default irish guards ?

Hi John my badges are very similar but are not silver in colour more brass or gold like will post better photos
Quote:
below the image of what I have been informed is the Royal Irish Rangers first pattern officers cross belt pouch badge . Note the fitments. the badge appears to be silver. This is the only reference I have come across to these badges with scew post fitments. I would not have expected them to make a facing pair tp address "Mikeden's" post.

John
Old 11-06-12, 11:11 PM

Default irish guards ?

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the replys I am a new member finding my way about will post better photos
Old 12-06-12, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeden View Post
Hi Guys
Thanks for all the replys I am a new member finding my way about will post better photos
Welcome to the forum I hope you find it useful. I have never come across the badges you posted before. It will be interesting to see if anyone provide any insight.

The only brass/GM shamrock collars to the Irish Guards that I am aware of is of a different design (see below). This is pattern number 5134 sealed 21/05/1901 worn only on the Scarlet Frock when abroad. These have loop fittings not screw posts.

John

some related insignia. South African Irish

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...+african+irish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boer war collar front.jpg (52.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 12-06-12 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added link to S.A. Irish
Old 12-06-12, 03:27 PM

Default Shamrock badges

Quote:

John
Hi John attached new photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shamrock.jpg (58.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg shamrock.JPG1.jpg (74.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 13-06-12, 10:07 AM

Default Irish Guards or London Irish

Attached clearer photos of my badges
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shamrock.jpg (58.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg shamrock.JPG1.jpg (74.5 KB, 1 views)