British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-18, 04:57 PM

Default RCD, time and wear?

Hi, now to start with the RCD. I have this beret which came with an officer's bits, the dealer I got it from said he had put this badge on it. I'm curious as to whether it is the right badge. An officer's gilt, bronze and what I would call an other ranks badge with a pair of collars all came together with the officer's hat. Would the officer have worn an officer's gilt badge on the beret? Also there seems to have been a variety of badges worn on the beret, one, quite small, with north and south lugs. Any guesses as to what they could have been? I've included photo's of his cap as well, if it helps.
Secondly is it possible to identify the makers and time scale of the officer's gilt badges? Thirdly, what are the silver badges for? and finally what is the time scale of the continuous title? Apologies in advance for so many questions and thanks in advance for some answers to them, best wishes Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04314.jpg (97.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04315.jpg (101.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04321.jpg (116.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04319.jpg (80.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04320.jpg (77.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04316.jpg (50.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04318.jpg (48.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04317.jpg (55.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 16-01-18, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, the gilt badge is to my understanding, the correct badge for wear on the beret. The continuous scroll badge is the one attributed to the Second WW and into the 50's. At some point after that a new die was required, with sharper features as on the osd badge. The silver badges may have been plated for the blue patrol uniform, or may have been for bandsmen.
Old 17-01-18, 08:43 AM

Hi Bill, thank you for answering those queries for me, very helpful, best wishes Mike
Old 02-02-18, 10:42 AM

Hi Guys,
Can you clarify for an ignorant Aussie what you mean by 'continuous scroll', please? I'm very curious to know what might have been the WW2 specific badge.
Old 02-02-18, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi lettman, note the spacing of the lettering in the scrolls. In continuous scrolls, there is no distinct spacing between the words.
Old 02-02-18, 08:24 PM

Ah, got it! Many thanks, Bill.