British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-07-14, 02:46 PM

Default Warhorse cap badge

Warhorse is currently playing in Cardiff and we welcomed Joey the warhorse to Armed Forces Day at Cardiff Castle recently. I was intrigued by the cap badge his officer was wearing. Its a Kings crown mounted by a crowned lion. His collar dogs are the same size. The nearest I can find is the Military Foot Police but that has the name underneath in a scroll. I wondered whether it could be collar dogs, but too big I think. I hope I have attached a pic of it.Any thoughts anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap badge.jpg (60.4 KB, 171 views)
Old 19-07-14, 09:59 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Bears a strong resemblance to The Royal First Devon Yeomanry......a simple royal crest of crown and lion found in brass, bronze, voided and solid versions.
Old 19-07-14, 10:14 PM

In the film it was North Somerset Yeomanry I think. Regards, Paul.(not the badge pictured)
Old 19-07-14, 11:10 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

It is interesting to note that Michael Morpurgo was moved to write the original story after meeting 2 veterans from World War 1 who both lived in the same Devon village as himself. One had served in the Devon Yeomanry and the other was a Cavalry man. All I can recall from the film is that the horse was purchased by a cavalry officer from the boy who had raised in in a Devon village and that another village in Wiltshire was also used in the filming in addition to Dartmoor.
Old 24-07-14, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
It is interesting to note that Michael Morpurgo was moved to write the original story after meeting 2 veterans from World War 1 who both lived in the same Devon village as himself. One had served in the Devon Yeomanry and the other was a Cavalry man. All I can recall from the film is that the horse was purchased by a cavalry officer from the boy who had raised in in a Devon village and that another village in Wiltshire was also used in the filming in addition to Dartmoor.
I think the Wiltshire village was Castle Coombe.
Old 24-07-14, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cga00 View Post
I think the Wiltshire village was Castle Coombe.
The same village used as a set for the film Dr Doolittle and attacked by Ranulph Fiennes (who was serving in 22 SAS at the time!)

The myth: Sir Ranulph Fiennes was expelled from the SAS for blowing up a set in the Rex Harrison movie Dr Dolittle.

True or false? It may have been a contributing factor to his exit. A friend of disgruntled locals, Fiennes demolished a dam built as part of a set in the previously picture perfect village of Castle Combe using regiment explosives. Fiennes evaded capture but was later ratted out when someone spilled his name to the Daily Mirror and he was discharged for "misuse of Her Majesty's explosives on public property". Fiennes described the incident as "a certain mischievousness".
Old 31-07-14, 11:00 AM

Default Warhorse cap badge

Thanks to all who responded, I have passed the info on to the actor playing the part of Warhorse's officer.
Old 01-08-14, 11:33 PM

We supply all the uniforms and insignia for the stage productions of 'WarHorse' all over the world.

When we were first asked to supply kit I asked what unit they had to be and no one on the production had any ideas. I suggested the 1st Royal Devon Yeomanry as we still had plenty after using them for 'Bad Lad's Army' several years before (we used them for Bad Lads as they were a very simple military badge and one that was long out of use by the 1950s).

As WH is set in the West Country it seemed a good idea and we have been supplying them ever since. The OSD cap and collar badges are brass cap badges which are either sprayed bronze or simply coloured with black marker pen. The effect is usually pretty good for stage work. The OSD collars are not faced.

We had the "RDY" shoulder titles made.

The infantrymen in the show all have Middlesex titles. They were keen to have a London unit and we had plenty of the titles after the BBC programme, 'Somme; from Defeat to Victory' in 2006.

From memory we have been supplying kit for WarHorse since 2006 and this is the first time that I have ever come across anyone asking about the insignia!

I hope this is helpful.
Old 21-08-14, 01:27 AM

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"

Last edited by ubervamp; 21-08-14 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spoiler