British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-06-16, 06:17 AM

I think it is important to remember the RBL is a charity, it was a foregone conclusion, after the in depth coverage on the BBC, that the products would sell very quickly indeed and I am very pleased for them, perhaps, if they have any remaining, they themselves, might consider auctioning them, it would certainly be better for them, in terms of creating revenue, not so good for the ebay touts.
Old 30-06-16, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I think it is important to remember the RBL is a charity, it was a foregone conclusion, after the in depth coverage on the BBC, that the products would sell very quickly indeed and I am very pleased for them, perhaps, if they have any remaining, they themselves, might consider auctioning them, it would certainly be better for them, in terms of creating revenue, not so good for the ebay touts.
Frank,

I'm in agreement with what you say but unfortunately not all of us have real time access to the BBC and whilst my wife in the UK did, by the time I read the email she sent me and went on to the Legion shop site they had sold out.

My point is whilst the RBL is indeed a charity, it also has members who pay an annual membership subscription so it may have been courteous for them to have informed members who don't get to read their magazine in a timely fashion (not that I even know if the pins were mentioned in it) as of course they have my email address, other military charities and Regimental association's seem to be able to reach me using this medium with no problem at all, that's why I'm a little bitter as I get the feeling that the RBL simple treat the paying membership as a source of funding and nothing else.

Kind Regards,

FMT600
Old 30-06-16, 07:07 AM

I don't understand why anyone should feel bitter, as members, they would doubtless look at their publications they are sent and all the products in both their local and online shops, if the RBL sell out of a particular product, I really do not feel they can be blamed in any way whatsoever, I am pleased to see that a great many people, who are not RBL members, care about the Great War and I hope the RBL are pleased too, this was a cataclysmic event that had an effect throughout the whole nation.
It is very unfortunate that ebay allows touts to profiteer by selling items like those in question here, but, as they themselves have a financial interest in doing so, I should, perhaps, not be at all surprised.
Old 30-06-16, 07:25 AM

Leaving aside the understandable concerns about who did, or did not, get one of these poppies, clearly there is a market for them.

If I were in charge of raising funds for the RBL I would by now have taken steps to have some similar poppies, with a different design, made to mark the official end of the battle of the Somme.

They have time enough, as the pointless slaughter went on until November.
Old 30-06-16, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't understand why anyone should feel bitter, as members, they would doubtless look at their publications they are sent and all the products in both their local and online shops, if the RBL sell out of a particular product, I really do not feel they can be blamed in any way whatsoever, I am pleased to see that a great many people, who are not RBL members, care about the Great War and I hope the RBL are pleased too, this was a cataclysmic event that had an effect throughout the whole nation.
It is very unfortunate that ebay allows touts to profiteer by selling items like those in question here, but, as they themselves have a financial interest in doing so, I should, perhaps, not be at all surprised.
Frank,

You seem to have completely missed the points in my last post THAT I AM NOT CURRENTLY PRIVY to being able to view the BBC news NOR HAVE I READ the latest RBL magazine AS IM NOT IN THE UK. As a paying RBL member who has supported the RBL for over 30 years (not just buying a Poppy for the 11th of November) I'm angry that I never got a look in to buy a piece of history which is very close to my heart as I come from Leeds and having served in a direct descendent Battalion for 25 years to a Regiment which saw 3 of its pals Battalions literally wiped out in minutes on the 1st of July 1916 at Serre (Please see the link below) the RBL's lack of providing any service to members is what riles me.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=54592

I am of course pleased that they have been so popular and have raised funds for the RBL and may I congratulate all Forum members who were able to secure a pin. I do wonder however how many of the knee jerk buyers will actually pay much heed to them and what they stand for long after the 100th anniversary has passed long on by, I'm sure in due course many more will turn up on ebay at which stage you never know I might get the chance to buy one.

Kind Regards,

FMT600

Last edited by FMT600; 30-06-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 30-06-16, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT600 View Post
...some blood sucking leeches who probably have not seen a days active service in their lives are selling them on ebay with one example currently at £200+.

FMT600
I wonder if these eBay auctions will be a precedent for more future sales; there are two for sale at the moment realising £120 and £320.

However, one seller does intimate he'll further contribute to the RBL, and the second seller does state he's selling the item to raise more funds for the charity too.

No doubt there will be others without such good intentions.

Best,

Marcus

Last edited by Marcus H; 30-06-16 at 10:19 AM.
Old 30-06-16, 10:17 AM

As the prices for these 'rare' items rise and rise I think we can expect to see many more of them appearing on ebay, some with an additional contribution to the charity and some without.

I notice that one currently listed was on ebay even before the owner had his/her hands on it, so they clearly intended to sell it on right from the start.

It is a shame that the RBL underestimated the value/desirability of these poppies as they could have made a lot more money for their worthwhile cause. Now it would seem that the big profits are going to ebay 'touts' as Frank so aptly called them.

Roger
Old 30-06-16, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post

I notice that one currently listed was on ebay even before the owner had his/her hands on it, so they clearly intended to sell it on right from the start.

Roger
Well spotted, Roger. That's just naughty beyond belief!
Old 30-06-16, 10:55 AM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

These bloodsuckers disgust me. It is beyond belief that they will try to take vital funds from the RBL simply for their own personal gain. How low can people go?
Old 30-06-16, 10:56 AM

Both current listings for these poppies have been removed.

Let's hope they have been removed by ebay and that they will stop any further sales.

Roger
Old 30-06-16, 11:42 AM

It states the pins are only currently out of stock at the Poppy Shop presumably meaning more are due, especially as it states you should leave your email address if your interested, if so did they not have the full 19,240 pieces off the production line when they went on sale? or is that the full run gone? in which case should just state Sold Out, bit confusing

Alli
Old 30-06-16, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
It states the pins are only currently out of stock at the Poppy Shop presumably meaning more are due, especially as it states you should leave your email address if your interested, if so did they not have the full 19,240 pieces off the production line when they went on sale? or is that the full run gone? in which case should just state Sold Out, bit confusing

Alli
How can they make any more when each one is dedicated to one of the dead from 1st July 1916? Maybe they could extend the thing with names of soldiers killed in the rest of the Somme battle?

Mine arrived today, a day early, and is named for a L/Cpl of the Tyneside Irish who is on the Thiepval Memorial. That will be staying with me and passing down the generations. I intend to do some research on my lance jack too.

Somebody has mentioned that people will be selling these poppies on and, sadly, this it true. One on ebay reached £351 before being removed from the auction.

I cant post a link because ebay will not allow it, but it is still there to see if you do an internal ebay search:

"This listing (142040485367) has been removed, or this item isn't available."
Old 30-06-16, 01:27 PM

No, I have read all three posts and certainly do not feel that I have missed the point of any content, whilst I am not a member of the RLB, I have known about these products for the last few days, clearly, if you have internet access, you have access to all the media, it is not a question of where a person might be geographically or whether or not they can view the BBC.

I was a little confused as to why anyone who has been a member would actually not continue to support this charity, simply because they did not get an item that was advertised by the charity concerned.
What you appear to be suggesting is that you did not get this item, because you did not know about it and you are blaming the charity you are a member of for not advising directly to you, news of their products existence, despite advertising it, quite openly, in my opinion?

QUOTE=FMT600;366516]Frank,

You seem to have completely missed the points in my last post THAT I AM NOT CURRENTLY PRIVY to being able to view the BBC news NOR HAVE I READ the latest RBL magazine AS IM NOT IN THE UK. As a paying RBL member who has supported the RBL for over 30 years (not just buying a Poppy for the 11th of November) I'm angry that I never got a look in to buy a piece of history which is very close to my heart as I come from Leeds and having served in a direct descendent Battalion for 25 years to a Regiment which saw 3 of its pals Battalions literally wiped out in minutes on the 1st of July 1916 at Serre (Please see the link below) the RBL's lack of providing any service to members is what riles me.

I am of course pleased that they have been so popular and have raised funds for the RBL and may I congratulate all Forum members who were able to secure a pin. I do wonder however how many of the knee jerk buyers will actually pay much heed to them and what they stand for long after the 100th anniversary has passed long on by, I'm sure in due course many more will turn up on ebay at which stage you never know I might get the chance to buy one.

Kind Regards,

FMT600[/QUOTE]
Old 30-06-16, 02:03 PM
Banned

Frank,

That's exactly what I'm saying, I am blaming the RBL for extremely poor customer service, and like any other organisation/company I deal with, charity or otherwise I expect customer service to be of a high standard, other charities do send out emails, and the RBL is only one of many service charities, as I said I will just switch my main efforts to SSAFA as on my wages I can not afford to support them all, by the way I'm somewhere where the best I get is Indian TV and the BBC world news which does not cover a great deal about the UK and certainly not poppy badges.

I think we had better agree to disagree over my rational and reasons for been peeved as obviously me and you are never likely to agree on this one, and let me assure you I'm not the only bloke here who is not best happy with how the RBL have/have not advertised this, you enjoy your first World access to the UK media, I will make do with my third world version.

Kind Regards,

FMT600

Quote:
No, I have read all three posts and certainly do not feel that I have missed the point of any content, whilst I am not a member of the RLB, I have known about these products for the last few days, clearly, if you have internet access, you have access to all the media, it is not a question of where a person might be geographically or whether or not they can view the BBC.

I was a little confused as to why anyone who has been a member would actually not continue to support this charity, simply because they did not get an item that was advertised by the charity concerned.
What you appear to be suggesting is that you did not get this item, because you did not know about it and you are blaming the charity you are a member of for not advising directly to you, news of their products existence, despite advertising it, quite openly, in my opinion?

QUOTE=FMT600;366516]Frank,

Kind Regards,

FMT600
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by FMT600; 30-06-16 at 03:40 PM.
Old 30-06-16, 02:23 PM

FMT600,
I find it hard to understand how or why you blame the RBL because you were out of the country or could not react fast enough to their offer.
I think they were surprised at the uptake after the BBC programme, they would have expected poppies to be available for days if not weeks of their release.
I think you should be happy to see them receive such support from the public.

Frank Kelley,
I think you meant to type RBL instead of RLB, or is that another Welsh mutation?

Eddie