British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-11-13, 09:20 AM

Default Royal Reserve Regt - is this real ?

I am not at all sure of this badge but its well made and the detail is good. That said, I am always a little wary so can someone tell me whether this is good or not.
Many thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hussars1.jpg (42.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg hussars2.jpg (42.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 21-11-13, 09:37 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
I am not at all sure of this badge but its well made and the detail is good. That said, I am always a little wary so can someone tell me whether this is good or not.
Many thanks
Mike
Mike, There is a collection of these in one of Malcolm Davey's albums that may help
Old 25-11-13, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Mike, There is a collection of these in one of Malcolm Davey's albums that may help
Could you maybe put a link to the album, I can't find it????
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex
Old 25-11-13, 01:08 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Alex, I would do the link, but it won't work, because I have Just realised that Malcolms albums are "private", so you would have to send him a friendship request. His username comes up on the 2nd/3rd page of the "M"s.
David
Old 25-11-13, 01:47 PM

Her Majesty's Regiment of Reserve Hussars. That's as much as I can find on this badge and now I'm intrigued because I can find no other information on this regiment which was hitherto unknown to me. I found a fleeting reference to it in regards to the Boer War which also included a mention of Her Majesty's Regiment of Reserve Dragoons.

Can anyone provide more information on these regiments?
Old 26-11-13, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
Her Majesty's Regiment of Reserve Hussars. That's as much as I can find on this badge and now I'm intrigued because I can find no other information on this regiment which was hitherto unknown to me. I found a fleeting reference to it in regards to the Boer War which also included a mention of Her Majesty's Regiment of Reserve Dragoons.

Can anyone provide more information on these regiments?

From a thread on the Great War Forum

The Royal Reserve Regiments were created in the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902) from older men in the Army Reserve for Home Service Garrison duties as so many regular and militia units were overseas.

There were both cavalry and infantry Regiments, the infantry ones having each several battalions

The infantry regiments were consolidated into the Royal Garrison Regiment as the manpower crisis eased and this Regiment itself was eventually stood down
Old 26-11-13, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
From a thread on the Great War Forum

The Royal Reserve Regiments were created in the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902) from older men in the Army Reserve for Home Service Garrison duties as so many regular and militia units were overseas.

There were both cavalry and infantry Regiments, the infantry ones having each several battalions

The infantry regiments were consolidated into the Royal Garrison Regiment as the manpower crisis eased and this Regiment itself was eventually stood down
Great! You put me on the right track there and I found:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/milit..._Veterans.html

http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/rgr.html

Very interesting indeed. I thought I knew every unit which ever existed but I've learned something new here.

Thank you so much.