British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-11, 08:21 PM

Default Latest finds

Hi all,

Was given these two badges yesterday from a unrealated source, I have my own thoughts on them, but, want to put them out there none-the-less.

Let fly!

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 2011 396.jpg (73.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 2011 397.jpg (62.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 2011 399.jpg (29.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 2011 400.jpg (30.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 20-11-11, 08:33 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule-73k View Post
Hi all,

Was given these two badges yesterday from a unrealated source, I have my own thoughts on them, but, want to put them out there none-the-less.

Let fly!

Dave
Hello Dave,

I reckon you may well have an example of the dreaded 'Mr. Punch' with that Norfolks.

There are threads on this badge, but just for comparison, here are some particularly horrific examples of said monstrosity...

...brace yourself, mate:

MP 1.jpgMP 2.jpgMP 3.jpg

PJ
Old 20-11-11, 08:43 PM

Peter,

I was thinking the same myself. It did'nt cost me anything so not to worry one way or the other.

Thanks for the heads up, mate!

Regards,

Dave
Old 20-11-11, 08:49 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Peter,

I was thinking the same myself. It did'nt cost me anything so not to worry one way or the other.

Thanks for the heads up, mate!

Regards,

Dave
Dave,

Given the wear and tear on your badge, the lack of detail makes it slightly more difficult to assess, but the shape of Britannia's headdress looks worryingly similar to the Hammer Badge of Horror exmaples I posted.

In addition, look at the over-sized, long laurel leaves above her head. These are also a characteristic of the 'Mr. Punch' blood-chiller.

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 20-11-11, 09:21 PM

Dave
The RAF badge has been genuine but shaped, buffed & polished to death. the top of the crown has gone.
It would shine nicely if polished and it's lugs are still present.
That is the negatives & positives, IMO.
Eddie
Old 21-11-11, 04:51 PM

Thanks Eddy and Peter, you confirmed what I was thinking.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Dave
Old 21-11-11, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Let fly!

Dave

Its not the current copy, so need a closer photo of the top of the trident
Old 22-11-11, 04:04 AM

Hope that this pic helps! My talents with a camera is suspect to say the least!!

Regards,

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0787.jpg (46.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-11-13, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Hope that this pic helps! My talents with a camera is suspect to say the least!!

Regards,

Dave
I know this is an old thread, but I came across it searching "Mr Punch"

Dave, the badge that you show, is a "Lambourne" badge (minus the slider) and a genuine WW1 issue. I hope it didn't go the way of a lot of fakes

Regards,

Andy
Old 10-11-13, 04:30 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Hi all,

Let fly!

Dave
Dave,
Your Norfolk badge looks fine to me, just a bit polished and missing a slider, it is not a dreaded "Mr Punch" example!

Andy
Old 10-11-13, 05:04 PM

Default Norfolk Regt

As I normally do not comment on badges, I feel on this occasion that the Norfolk badge is worth a comment.

No slider and overpolished, the one thing I do not like is the title scroll, the ends are IMO too long, maybe I am being too critical regarding these scroll ends, but they seem to my mind to have appeared in the last thirty or so years.

These have been offered on our favourite online site for a good many years yet I don't remember seeing them before the seventies and I have collected Norfolk badges for a long time.

Rob
Old 10-11-13, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
As I normally do not comment on badges, I feel on this occasion that the Norfolk badge is worth a comment.

No slider and overpolished, the one thing I do not like is the title scroll, the ends are IMO too long, maybe I am being too critical regarding these scroll ends, but they seem to my mind to have appeared in the last thirty or so years.

These have been offered on our favourite online site for a good many years yet I don't remember seeing them before the seventies and I have collected Norfolk badges for a long time.

Rob
I am confident that the Norfolk badge shown, is a (what is thought to be?) genuine WW1 "Lambourne" badge. As you know, they are well known for their lack of quality....

If what you say is true and they only started appearing in the last 30 years or so, then I have a few fakes in my collection. It then needs to be asked, are other "Lambourne" badges after all fake?

Andy
Old 10-11-13, 05:29 PM

Post #12 of this thread http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...bourne+norfolk shows four of my "Lambourne" made badges. The Norfolk badge shown in post #1 of this thread is from the same die.

Andy
Old 10-11-13, 06:40 PM

Default Norfolk

Well, you could all be correct and me wrong . . !

This is just an opinion that I hold, I used to collect Lambourne badges, but like everything else, they to have been reproduced.

I like Norfolk badges with scrolls like the one in the pic, only an opinion, but the long straight scrolls I am never happy with.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000408.jpg (83.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-11-13, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Well, you could all be correct and me wrong . . !

This is just an opinion that I hold, I used to collect Lambourne badges, but like everything else, they to have been reproduced.

I like Norfolk badges with scrolls like the one in the pic, only an opinion, but the long straight scrolls I am never happy with.

Rob
You could be right Rob and that is part of what this forum is about. Sorting the good from the bad.

Has anyone else got any opinions? Seems a shame to waste this opportunity to debate this badge.

Andy