British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-09-17, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
I think its rare ...but not £300 rare. I am sure if that sells for £300 we will see some more appear on the great public auction site. I have been watching that badge for some time now..... i dont think I am the only one that thinks the price is a bit steep.
Well if the Bosleys example went for £400,then with fees etc your looking at over £500 for it.
Old 11-09-17, 06:42 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Well if the Bosleys example went for £400,then with fees etc your looking at over £500 for it.
Bloomin 'eck! Well... I am not surprised by that value given to it by Bosleys TBH.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 11-09-17, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Bloomin 'eck! Well... I am not surprised by that value given to it by Bosleys TBH.
The badgesoftheworld one,ive actually seen it,didnt realise what regt it was .It was part of a massive collection of Cavalry and Yeomanry arm badges,metal and cloth. Some real beauties amongst them.
Old 12-09-17, 09:01 AM

Interesting to speculate how many of these badges ever existed. The Squadron lasted five years, disappearing with the 1967 TA/TAVR reorganisation. A squadron would have had a total strength of around 120 all ranks of which 4 or 5 would have been Sgts/WOs. Even if they all had new badges - unlikely as they tended to get passed on - I would suggest there were never more than 20 such badges - if that.

Rarer than quite a few badges that command equally high prices.

Jon
Old 12-09-17, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Interesting to speculate how many of these badges ever existed. The Squadron lasted five years, disappearing with the 1967 TA/TAVR reorganisation. A squadron would have had a total strength of around 120 all ranks of which 4 or 5 would have been Sgts/WOs. Even if they all had new badges - unlikely as they tended to get passed on - I would suggest there were never more than 20 such badges - if that.

Rarer than quite a few badges that command equally high prices.

Jon
Ah but were they like some other Yeomanry units and continued to wear the arm badge although they were no longer Yeomanry ? Warwick and Worcester spring to mind.
Old 12-09-17, 09:45 AM

All "real" Yeomanry except the Royal Yeomanry initially disappeared in 1967.

Although many former yeomanry regiments lived on as TAVR Category III units they were serving as infantry. The Pembroke Yeomanry became A (Pembroke Yeomanry) Company of 4th (Territorial) Bn The Welch Regiment which like all Category III TAVR units became an 8 man cadre in 1969.

The arm badge may have lived on in the Company which, approximately the same size as a Squadron would still have required few badges. And many TAVR III units were well understrength.

Jon