British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-08-17, 08:05 AM

Default my new haul

hi all
here is a selection of badges ive picked up over the past week.
enjoy
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6221.jpg (93.3 KB, 146 views)
Old 19-08-17, 11:38 PM

You've been busy

There's some very nice items there!

Regards

Mark
Old 20-08-17, 02:15 AM

Thanks mark
Nothing sensational but some very nice bits. Jus as happy with the cloth I picked up.
BTW Great book mate. Picked it up at a recent show. Now that's my type of bedside reading. Love it
BC
Old 20-08-17, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
Thanks mark
Nothing sensational but some very nice bits. Jus as happy with the cloth I picked up.
BTW Great book mate. Picked it up at a recent show. Now that's my type of bedside reading. Love it
BC
BC

I think that if I was only able to collect one type of insignia, it would be very hard to pick between metal titles and GS Rising Sun badges Glad to see you aren't faced with that choice though!

As for the book... I'm glad you like Vol 2.Did you pick your copy up from Dave Wright at the Ballarat show or from Arthur at the recent Brisbane/Ipswich Show?

As an aside... after we get more feedback about Vol 2 from Readers and from Canberra etc, we'll look at putting out either Vol 3 on (post '53) Rank and Trade Insignia (depending upon interest)... or we might start going back to earlier periods for Corps and Regiments (together)... for example putting out material on 1948-52 as a supplement to Vols 1 and 2. We aren't firm on either approach at present. Vol 3 was/is the original plan... but covering King's Crown period hat and collar items is also a very attractive field to research. There are quite a few Army Museum Collections that we can spend days and days with (photographing, weighing and measuring etc).

Damn it... we might have to try researching and writing both topics at once?

Any thoughts?

Mark (out)
Old 20-08-17, 08:32 AM

hi mark
it was at Ballarat from Dave or Les?

I cant decide what I want to collect either?
I started back collecting only pre fed. then I bought a small collection of officers badges from 1900-1942 period, with the intention of on selling them. I just couldn't bring myself to sell the silver and enamelled badges.
I bought a collection of shoulder titles and a collection of 300 ww2 colour patches and have been adding to them.
I cant help myself.

as for your next book I would be interested in both. I would like to know more about the trade and rank insignia and that might start another collecting sideline, but would love to see the 1948-53 period badges tackled again.
cheers
bc
Old 20-08-17, 01:25 PM

AHHHHHH.... you started at the deep end of the swimming pool then

I started at the other end of the acquisition expense pool! Even now, I'm only looking at 48 to 52 because I've got most of them already and access to the balance (I'm cheap you see).

Thanks for your feedback BC... it seems that heading down either path will be fine... so I think Arthur and I might do BOTH concurrently.... then I'm not forced to choose! It will inevitably take longer that way... but what the hell... we have not set any land-speed records to-date anyway have we!

One final comment (given this discussion)... I'm going to admit that I think I'll extend my collecting habit to both GS Rising Sun item AND metal titles next... then I don't have to make any decision about that either.! Who minds collecting taking a long time anyway It's all about the thrill of the chase isn't it :P That's probably the truth about writing about insignia as well I suppose... it's an excuse for more collecting!

BC all this 'extroverted thinking' has been caused by just 1 post of your latest acquisitions... very nice and inspiring work Mate

Mark

Last edited by Mark Corcoran; 20-08-17 at 01:26 PM. Reason: bad typing (as usual)
Old 22-08-17, 09:30 AM

i started at the deep end with the pre fed items but i did this because they were few and far between. gave me time to save between each purchase.

my collecting is 90% the hunt and 10% showing it off every once and awhile.

thats the beauty of this forum. i have gained interest in titles and colour patches reading post and seeing pics of forum members collections.

i even went through a stage of collecting colonial and british officers items thanks to our Brit collectors pics of their collections.

the GS rising sun is also another side interest. ive always loved the british made ww1 versions and the different varieties/manufacturers

bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rising suns.jpg (85.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2343.JPG (81.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg rising suns early.jpg (71.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg user280_pic37123_1300089203.jpg (83.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 22-08-17, 11:55 AM

BC,

Thanks for the pics of your Rising Sun collection... the more I looked at them the more I admired them. You have an impressive collection there. Thanks for sharing those images...I found them inspiring.

Mark
Old 22-08-17, 12:22 PM

thanks mark
slow and steady.
ive got over 100 rising sun hat badges but its been 20yrs+ in the making
one day i will sort them all and get a display up.
cheers
bc