British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-12, 12:43 PM

Default WWII (?) Rajputana Rifles cap badge

A recent addition: a Rajputana Rifles KC cap badge, blackened bronze, with a red cloth backing and a brooch type pin and clasp instead of the usual loops: any hints? what your advise? During WWII, would be the designation of this regiment 6th Rajputana Rifles and would it be some how reflected on the cap badge? Thank you and all the vest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAJPUTANA_RIFLES_1.jpg (62.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Rajputana_Rifles_2.jpg (44.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg rajputana_rifles_3.jpg (28.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-11-12, 01:01 PM

6th Rajputana Rifles from 1922 to 1945. Thereafter The Rajputana Rifles. Now in the Indian Army.
Cap badge used from 1922 to 1950 (Republic of India).

But the crown looks more like an imperial one then a KC. I am sure that the KC was used. Do not know about this crown. But more knowledgable people then I am, will tune in I guess.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 11-11-12, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
6th Rajputana Rifles from 1922 to 1945. Thereafter The Rajputana Rifles. Now in the Indian Army.
Cap badge used from 1922 to 1950 (Republic of India).

But the crown looks more like an imperial one then a KC. I am sure that the KC was used. Do not know about this crown. But more knowledgable people then I am, will tune in I guess.
Henk. There aren't many that know as much as you about these badges, never mind more knowledgable!!
Old 11-11-12, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampwick View Post
Henk. There aren't many that know as much as you about these badges, never mind more knowledgable!!
I am flattered , but I think this is a bit unjustified. I know (read and found out and have written down in tables that are easy to search through for me) some details about the regimental lineages. And, to illustrate those tables, I searched for pictures of badges belonging to the different titles in different areas.

Thus I can see when a picture deviates from what I found (like the crown here). but that does not make me an expert in whatever form on the badges and/or fakes like a lot of people here.

And do not forget that I learned a lot on the thread about the 4th Bombay Grenadiers from those here that I point to as having more knowledge. (And I take the point that "knowledgable" is at least an ugly way to express myself , it most probably isn't English at all)

Old 11-11-12, 04:39 PM

This looks to me as 6th Rajputana Rifles, with a pagri pin.
The 1st Bn tended to wear this badge with an Imperial Crown, making it look from the late Victorian era (indeed some badge dealers "trade" on this), and the other Bns used a KC.
Old 11-11-12, 04:52 PM

And see Lampwick, this is what I mean. More knowlegde above to enjoy us.

Again one of those "special to battalion" cases. The 1st Bn had the additional title (Wellesley's).

They were the 104th Wellesley's Rifles from 1903 - 1922.
And the badge picture I have shows a KC. Thus I do not know if they preferred the imperial crown during this time already.

Old 11-11-12, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
A recent addition: a Rajputana Rifles KC cap badge, blackened bronze, with a red cloth backing and a brooch type pin and clasp instead of the usual loops: any hints? what your advise? During WWII, would be the designation of this regiment 6th Rajputana Rifles and would it be some how reflected on the cap badge? Thank you and all the vest!
Hopefully, you will be able to access this photograph.
Jo
Click on the photo to enlarge.
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/8c3b3cbbc4f8ccb7_large

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 11-11-12, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hopefully, you will be able to access this photograph.
Jo
Click on the photo to enlarge.
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/8c3b3cbbc4f8ccb7_large
thank you Voltigeur... definitively the same (paghri) badge!
Old 11-11-12, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revdougal View Post
This looks to me as 6th Rajputana Rifles, with a pagri pin.
The 1st Bn tended to wear this badge with an Imperial Crown, making it look from the late Victorian era (indeed some badge dealers "trade" on this), and the other Bns used a KC.
thank you revdougal, I had no idea that tha Imperial Crown could be used as a battalion distinction.... and I am so much happier, now that I know it, inasmuch as the focus of my collection is on formations hat have fought on the Italian front in 1943-1945!
Old 11-11-12, 06:26 PM

Revdougal is spot on. Some sources say that the battalion retained the Imperial crown, I have also read that it was officers of the battalion that did so. Personally I think all ranks . and yes it is often passed as a Victorian badge.
my example is not blackened and is on a slider. I have not yet picked up the Kings crown version which is more common. Kevin
Old 12-11-12, 02:38 PM

Well done, that man! I thought I knew a little about the Indian stuff too, but now I'll have one more morsel to work with "Imperial or Victorian"?
Old 08-01-14, 02:22 PM

Peter this one came this week , die struck unusualy, pin to rear just like yours,
I wondered if the red backing was battalion specific but it seems not
regards Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cly 004.jpg (66.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-01-14, 03:51 PM

A couple on sale on ebay, some of which appear to show the 'Imperial' / Victorian crown and others seem to be just bad castings of a King's Crown, so certainly some room for confusion. Also very typical of the IA that one battalion would retain a distinction for years or even decades in the face of all regs. to the contrary. When you buy the stuff yourself, often locally, its far easier to get what you want, not what some office wallah in the capital says you should have!

I remember reading years ago that when the British Army renumbered some regiments in the 1700s, one Scottish colonel had a drummer have each man pluck a slip of paper with the new number on it from his cap. The colonel followed the drummer with a loaded and cocked pistol! Sounds like exactly the sort of thing that Piffer units like the 1st RRs would understand - from the private soldiers view point, that is!

Peter