British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-05-15, 02:36 PM

Default Yeomanry Mess Waiters Buttons

Hi Chaps

I have a small collection of Mess Staff/Waiters buttons, the majority of which are infantry battalions/regiments. I have the grand total of 2 to Yeomanry units, both from the Imperial Yeomanry period of the early 1900's; which is not surprising really as the use of such buttons was at it's height in the late Victorian/Edwardian period. (Both are gilt/brass, open back, fixed shank).

1) Imperial Yeomanry Staff - (aprox 26mm; James Platt, London backmark). Many collectors consider this one to be a standard issue uniform button and that may be correct. Personally, given the size and construction, I'm more inclined to think it's a mess waiters button.

2) King's Colonials - (aprox 27mm; Firmin, London backmark). The ID for this is only tentative but it seems likely (Dixon Pickup agrees).

Would appreciate any comments/opinions regarding the above.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0050.JPG (66.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0051.JPG (67.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by davidwyke; 24-05-15 at 03:28 PM.
Old 24-05-15, 07:02 PM

Hello David

Two very nice buttons. I have examples of the 'IYS' button by different makers but this is the only example of a Yeomanry Mess Waiters' button that I have.

I have been collecting Mess Waiters' buttons for quite a while but I have not seen any other confirmed Yeomanry examples.

Regards
Roger
Old 24-05-15, 07:47 PM

Hi Roger

I didn't think anyone else collected them! To be honest I don't really collect them as such in the sense that I go out of my way to obtain them but I do keep any that come my way. Not very "glamourous" but some interesting and attractive buttons amongst them.

I'm quite surprised that the IYS buttons were produced by different makers, given that they would only have been required in limited numbers over a fairly short period.

David

PS....it's possible that Platt on my button was a retailer rather than the manufacturer......

Last edited by davidwyke; 24-05-15 at 07:50 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 24-05-15, 09:31 PM

Hi David and Roger,

Strangely enough I also collect Mess Waiter buttons.

I am also not aware of any other Yeomanry Mess waiter buttons.
So far I have seen that the Imperial Yeomanry Staff button comes in two different types of metal -

(i) Gilt (Brass) - makers mark of "J. PLATT & CO. ST MARTINS LANE".

and

(ii) White Metal - makers mark of "+ FIRMIN & SONS LD + LONDON".

(Both buttons being Convex - open backed).

As you say for a relatively small unit - there are quite a lot of these buttons around.

Regards

Ian
Old 24-05-15, 10:51 PM

Does anyone know if the Corps & Departments (in particular the AOC/AOD) followed this practice?

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 25-05-15, 03:46 AM

Hi Chaps

Many thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Ian - the Platt version of IYS is probably the same as mine. Never seen a WM version although some of the Inf buttons I have come in both gilt & WM versions. It is strange that there are quite a few around, perhaps they had more than one use?

Mike - Most of the buttons I've got and seen are Infantry, sometimes regimental and sometimes battalion (both regular & volunteers/territorials). Also some Cavalry (but not many Yeomanry as you will appreciate from the above!). As regards Corps/Depts, all I've got are RA. Have never seen any from AOD/AOC or any other Dept/Corps. I'm not saying they didn't wear them but I suspect the practice wasn't very widespread. No doubt Roger and Ian will advise if they have anything along those lines.

David
Old 25-05-15, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Does anyone know if the Corps & Departments (in particular the AOC/AOD) followed this practice?
Hello Mike

Yes, Corps Mess Waiters' buttons do exist, most easily found are the obvious Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers but I also have one to the Army Service Corps. I have not seen any others but there would seem to be no reason why they should not exist.

Regards
Roger
Old 25-05-15, 09:55 AM

Hello David

I have had another look at my 'IYS' buttons and I have three different backmarks:- Platt as per your example but also ones by Firmin and Gaunt. As you said, it does seem odd that so many different backmarks can be found on a button that was in limited used for such relatively short time.

Last edited by Cribyn; 25-05-15 at 10:02 AM.
Old 25-05-15, 10:33 AM

Default IYS Mess Buttons

Hi Chaps

Just had a thought regarding the IYS buttons. Given that the IY only existed as such for aprox 8 years and yet it's obvious from the previous posts that there are more of these buttons around than you would expect - produced by different manufacturers and in different metals. Also given the apparent absence or rarity of most other IY Mess Staff buttons.

Could it possibly be that these buttons were marketed as a generic Mess Staff/Waiters button for the various IY regiments? That would explain the above although I admit that it goes against the trend of Mess Waiters buttons in general which were usually as individual as possible.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 25-05-15 at 12:21 PM.