British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-09-11, 09:37 AM

Default SAS Cap badge is it ok

Hi
Picked up this SAS cap badge this morning and it looks ok to me compared to others I have seen on this site but would value a second opinion. The guy I go it from said it was his own from the 60's and he was with his wife and all seemed to ring true but I know you never know.

Hope someone can put my mind at ease.

Thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sas.jpg (34.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg sas (2).jpg (29.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg sas 3.jpg (39.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg sas 4.jpg (38.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-09-11, 04:23 PM

Hi Guys
I would really value someones opinion on this badge. I know we have some real experts on this site on Special Forces badges and have handled more of these badges than me so I hope you can help me.

Rob
Old 11-09-11, 05:51 PM

I don't like the quality and particularly the uneven letters.

It seems the SAS would be the largest regiment in the Army
Old 11-09-11, 05:53 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Rob,

I'm far away from being an " expert " but the quality isn't what I would expect, mind you, the word " expert " is, I think, being frowned on at the moment, can I say that I would have liked to have seen a better produced version if buying one for myself ??

Dave.

Sorry ' jdr ', our opinions went on at the same time, I could have left it to you !!

Dave.
Old 11-09-11, 06:10 PM

Apropos of this thread, could a resident SF expert please tell me when, by whom and why this style of badge was worn? In over four decades in (British Army) uniform, I never saw an example being worn (but perhaps I just wasn't paying attention).
Old 11-09-11, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Apropos of this thread, could a resident SF expert please tell me when, by whom and why this style of badge was worn? In over four decades in (British Army) uniform, I never saw an example being worn (but perhaps I just wasn't paying attention).
When I was in the SAS we wore them. I sold mine just after I cleared out of the Iranian Embassy.
Old 11-09-11, 07:03 PM

Hi Guys
Thanks for your posts, looks like one I'll just have to put down to experience and maybe not be so believing of what someone tells me in the future.

Rob
Old 11-09-11, 07:31 PM

metal badges were to my knowledge not worn post 1945 (I don't like any metal SAS hatbadges in this style), other than the anodised aluminium 50s badge.... Sorry don't like that badge in any way....
Old 11-09-11, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
When I was in the SAS we wore them. I sold mine just after I cleared out of the Iranian Embassy.
Keith,
So you are saying these were worn by 22 SAS circa 1978-80?
Mike
Old 11-09-11, 08:31 PM

Default Metal SAS badges

Friends,

I have never seen any evidence of metal Winged Dagger badges worn by 22 SAS, apart from the bi-metal badges worn on peaked caps by Officers and Senior NCO's at the Coronation in 1953. Some people claim the NCO's and OR's wore bi-metal badges on the maroon beret at the Coronation. Not seen any pics, but supposedly there is a picture in one of the Squadron mess rooms in H.

As far as I know, all the beret badges worn by 22 are cloth. However, for some reason the metal (staybrite) beret badge is still being issued and even in fairly large numbers in 21 and 23 SAS. I am told they are handed out most of the times as souvenirs to badge collectors or visiting dignitaries.

I would be interested to hear from Keith if that staybrite beret badge was worn on the beret or some other head dress?

The beret badge in the picture is brass, not staybrite. My working assumption is that badge was designed during WW2, but never actually issued or worn.

best regards,

Johan
Old 12-09-11, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Keith,
So you are saying these were worn by 22 SAS circa 1978-80?
Mike
Keith was pulling your leg!.