British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-11, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I always follow Peter’s lead on judging 17 London badges. The short tablets are invariably wrong.

More info on short tablet 17 London's is here: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...egiment+tablet
Quote:
Ry,

I am not quite sure why you have taken this stance but think you need to read the post again. The blackened whitemetal 17th Londons in post 20 has a short scroll and is a copy. That design is sold on ebay by the dozen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-17TH-L...item4840e16807

I have no issue with your others; sans serifs lettering or otherwise nor if you reader the poster's identity have I ever commented on such things. I would appreciate it if you amend your posts accordingly.
Alan,

I took the stance I did after your comment about always following Peter’s lead on “Rifle Brigade badges” which you have subsequently altered to read “17 London badges”

Not the first time that you have altered a post after the event in an effort to make me look stupid, as we both know!

I actually found your post unnecessary and to be honest unhelpful, I see though that you have now added a link to it which goes some way to rectifying that.

I accept that the WM 17th London badges I have are probably fakes due to the style of lettering, although in the hand they look and feel very different to the badge that you linked to, having also had one of those so being able to make a comparison.

I will say it once again just to be clear, although the wreath does stop short of the tablet, the TABLET IS NOT SHORT it is in excess of 12mm in width which is the same as my Silver bladed example as well as my BB example, both being badges where the wreath does continue right up to the tablet.

I posted my non Serif badges partly in an effort to show that in general it seems that the lettering on the badges of the Rifle Brigade TF units invariably conform to this pattern. (THR / LRB) and partly because I had the hump.

This may have been a little puerile but on the up side it does now give the membership a chance to see some Rifle Brigade badges.

I won’t be amending any of my posts as you requested as I feel that everything I have said is justified even if you don’t! Of course you have the power to do so if you choose Alan, up to you!

My appologies to the other contributors and instigator of this thread for the way it has played out.

My initial enquiry was a constructive effort to enquire if the 17th Londons had a blackened WM badge, which was relevant to the theme of the thread at the time.

Ry
Old 04-09-11, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

My comment was in response to the blackened 17th London Rifle Brigade wm badge that was in the previous thread. I have indeed amended it to highlight the point that I was refering to the previous 17 London photo and add the link not to make you look stupid but to point out your error in criticising me for another poster’s comment about sans serifs. Be man enough to apologise.
Old 04-09-11, 11:10 AM
Former Member

Quote:
My comment was in response to the blackened 17th London Rifle Brigade wm badge that was in the previous thread. I have indeed amended it to highlight the point that I was refering to the previous 17 London photo and add the link not to make you look stupid but to point out your error in criticising me for another poster’s comment about sans serifs. Be man enough to apologise.
I hope my post about the font has not fired this debate, my observation was aimed at the 17th Londons only and not any other RB or RB styled badges!

Andy
Old 04-09-11, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Alan,

My stance stemmed from your original comment about Peter's lead on "Rifle Brigade" badges, since ammended so now a moot point.

I never implied that you commented about the lettering, as you did not.

I disagree with your opinion that my badge has a short scroll but do concede that due to other factors that it is almost certainly not a genuine badge.

You have my appology if it seemed to you that the above point on lettering was what I was taking issue with you over.

Andy,

Your point about the lettering was, relevant, factual and informative so in no way could fault be found with the content or tone of your post. In fact you have my thanks for confirming my concerns about a badge that as I stated, I had had my doubts about.

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-09-11 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-09-11, 12:51 PM

I hope this thread doesn't cause any rift's as I think the three of you from my perspective, along with all other's and their "opinion's" are the main the reason I'm a member and overall the information on this one has cleared up some doubts on my 17th (positive thankfully)
Don't let me down and not follow through on my boast over here that you can't beat the Brit's for an argument; but it stay's as that and never leads to recriminations and bad blood. We leave that the the rest of the un-civilzed world...

All shake hand's, and have a cuppa.

Simon.