British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-13, 08:57 PM

How about rank insignia?

Commanders and upwards in the Metropolitan Police, (Assistant Chief Constable or thereabouts and above in the Counties) wore a similar item, described as 'cross tipped staves in a laurel wreath' and any other additional item that denoted their rank.

However, if I'm correct, police insignia didn't have a crown attached.

But I believe the badge you show is rank insignia, to whom.......somebody will know I'm sure.

Regards
Brian
Old 21-09-13, 09:58 AM

Thank you very much! I will dig more now when I know right direction. I am just surprised that they made insignia out from hallmarked silver - that's really high quality and also probably expensive to produce in larger quantities... or its not so massively made at all?

Thank you again.
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 21-09-13, 11:30 AM

Hi Phaethon,

As Brian said, it is a senior police officers rank badge. Steve Britton had or has one on his site, they are not cheap badges. There are also solid silver cap badges worn by the Metropolitan Police (Inspector type star with blue enamel circle), there is one in my albums.

Cheers

Phil
Old 21-09-13, 12:19 PM

Thank you again!
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 24-09-13, 11:41 PM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deput...the_Metropolis

I think these might be the badges, without crowns, that Brian is referring to?

Phil
Old 26-09-13, 06:29 PM

Here is one more badge.... is this Scottish?

For a last today.... not mine but these are available here in Dublin at the moment. Any good badges there and what these would be worth?

Old 26-09-13, 06:43 PM

First badge is a good Highland Light Infantry glengarry badge. I can't help with the others, sorry.

Phil
Old 26-09-13, 07:20 PM

Hi Phil, can you clear your inbox mate? Sorry to hijack the thread!!
Old 27-09-13, 03:29 PM

Now, like I understand these are some kind of catering organisations, instead of military uniform items. Middle one has pin on the back and stamped number.

Any ideas of the values please (I will list them up here, so the members of this forum will have a first choice)?

Old 27-09-13, 03:35 PM
Former Member

You really should put these on eBay and let them find their own value! They are scarce items and I would start them at at least £15-20 and you could be pleasantly surprised?

Andy
Old 27-09-13, 04:25 PM

Thanks Andy. Great to get the max out of them but meantime I really don't like the hassle over eBay + the savage fees there. Anyway, I will think about that.

Here are few more that I don't know. Also value of these.

Royal Berkshire badge is missing the lugs and also 1 and 3 (No.3 had screw posts on the back). I still think these will look nice on the display.

Old 27-09-13, 04:29 PM

and here are few extra shots of that Police insignia. Amazing quality. Does anyone can read out the hallmarks?

Old 27-09-13, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Here is one more badge.... is this Scottish?

For a last today.... not mine but these are available here in Dublin at the moment. Any good badges there and what these would be worth?

The WRNS Switchboard Operator badges were only worn for one year 1964-65
Old 27-09-13, 08:04 PM

Hi Timo,

Birmingham 1941

The image is showing better on the forum than in my email program (via phone).

NACB badge is for the Navy and Army Canteen Board. Its a predecessor of the NAAFI (Navy army and air force institute).

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 27-09-13 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 27-09-13, 08:53 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I've only just dropped on to this thread and was pleased to see Brian's badge, nice one mate ! another one suitable for my Rifles collection, are they rare or rocking horse doo doo rare ??

Dave.