British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-07-12, 06:20 PM

Default Mounting and displaying badges

Hi All
There have been a few threads in the past with queries about haw to display badges. Although there are numerous ways, here is the way I do it, in 3-part harmony. I hope this is of some use to somebody.

1. Firstly, I use acid-free picture framing board as a backing. This comes in such a good variety of colours that you can get pretty much anything that you want. It is also fairly rigid and supports the weight of the badges up to a point.
2. The frames I have are all made to my own specs by a local furniture maker who does them fairly cheaply. They are all the same size and my ambition is to have a cabinet made one day that I can slot the frames in like drawers to store them if they aren’t on the wall. They are also double-backed so the badge fasteners aren’t exposed. (First I’ll need to be able to buy a house big enough to put it in...)
3. When I am ready, I lay out the badges on the backing card and mark where they will be positioned. Once I am happy, I make holes in the card to fit the badges. You often need to remove the badges at times to do different layouts, so it is handy if you are able to take photos of each one as you do it is case you can’t remember which was the best layout.
4. After all the badges are in place and holes put in the card, I choose some of the badges with more sturdy lugs or fittings, place the card into the frame and mark where the stronger badges sit in the frame. I will then make holes all the way through the first board in the frame so these badges will help to keep the card rigid. I use the awl on my penknife to mark where these will locate on the board.
5. After I have marked all the holes, I drill through the board in the frame. It isn’t necessary to make the holes too small, because you’re guaranteed to find some will not line up properly, best to give yourself some leeway.
6. Before I fit the card into the drilled frame, I secure all the badges which won’t be going all the way through the backing board, to the card.
7. Put the card in the frame and then fit the badges which have shanks which with pass all the way through the backing board.
8. After all the badges are fitted, I use 0.5 or 0.7mm galvanized wire to secure them to the board.
9. After all this is done, the board can be fitted into the frame and it is ready to go on the wall.
10. The frames I have are all glass fronted and the glass slides in from the top and sits in a groove around the edge.

Not sure if I managed to get the photos in the correct order, but hopefully they should be fairly self explanatory.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0084.jpg (64.5 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.jpg (37.4 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006.jpg (53.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0011.jpg (46.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0016.jpg (19.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0019.jpg (51.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0022.jpg (38.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0020.jpg (37.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0023.jpg (76.0 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0024.jpg (19.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0026.jpg (21.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0010.jpg (44.0 KB, 196 views)
Old 10-07-12, 06:35 PM

Impressive display Alex, nicely done, good job on the frames too,
Cheers, Wilf.
Old 10-07-12, 07:37 PM

Wish my wife would let me put them on the wall!!
Old 10-07-12, 08:24 PM
lionel

Fantastic job , they look great on the wall !! my UDR sets are nearing completion and i have to get frames sorted out so this thread has come along at the right time....thankyou for posting

lionel
Old 11-07-12, 01:09 AM

I do like what you have done with your displays. I have been using 4X4 1/2 inch cardboard squares wrapped with the proper Divisional Colour to display my badges, collars and metal titles. These are all arranged in 16X20 inch shadow boxes according to Division.

Then another shadow box displaying 1st Cdn Corps and 2nd Corps and a few others. All in all I have 6 shadow boxes up on the wall. About the only portion of collection I am allowed to display.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 11-07-12, 04:21 AM

Hi Alex,
Congratulations on your great displays. I guess the compromise for most of us is to have just the one frame which can hold one card in turn, the rest being stored away in a cabinet. In other words, display a card for a certain length of time and then change for a different one. Most wives would be happy with that.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 11-07-12, 11:10 AM

hi alex
superb looking frames mate.
well done
bc
Old 11-07-12, 12:06 PM

Hi All
Thanks for the comments. I must add that despite my begging, I am only allowed to display my badges in the stairwell, and my wife would prefer them to be in the garage...
Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-07-12, 01:35 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Nice one Alex,

We do not have stairs nor a garage or even a loft but I do have a tin shed, guess where Kath wants me to keep mine ??? lol.

Dave.
Old 12-07-12, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Nice one Alex,

We do not have stairs nor a garage or even a loft but I do have a tin shed, guess where Kath wants me to keep mine ??? lol.

Dave.
Hi Dave
If we had space for a shed outside, I'd be in the same position.... Though, to be honest, a collector friend of mine did that and he had a wonderful setup in his shed, it was like a little sanctuary, ha ha.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 26-09-13, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi All
Thanks for the comments. I must add that despite my begging, I am only allowed to display my badges in the stairwell, and my wife would prefer them to be in the garage...
Cheers,
Alex
Ditto, when I have got mine framed they are destined for the landing, and like your wife mine too would rather have them in the shed or garage , But I don't think they understand lol.
Looks good though Alex.

Regards Shane
Old 27-09-13, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Nice one Alex,

Dave.
Dave I have lots of wall space for your badges if you want me to look after them for you
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 27-09-13, 09:21 AM

Hi Alex, would it be possible to post a close up of your Black Watch frame?
What are the labels made of?
Thanks Ron.
Old 27-09-13, 11:10 AM

Someone once put up a foto of his desk somewhere on the site; I can't find it now, but as we are discussing places to work and other spaces where badges are dealt with, it's nowt to shout about, but thgt I'd post a picture of William's Workspace.

Best rgds to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0063.jpg (64.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 27-09-13, 11:18 AM

Looks good WIlliam - would you be willing to share a close up of the two medal frames?

cheers,

Andy C

PS - if you're still looking for your glasses, you left them on top of the printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Someone once put up a foto of his desk somewhere on the site; I can't find it now, but as we are discussing places to work and other spaces where badges are dealt with, it's nowt to shout about, but thgt I'd post a picture of William's Workspace.

Best rgds to all.