British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-12, 07:05 PM

Default Q. Re Lanyards worn by Royal Irish Rifles during WWI

Has anyone got any info re lanyards worn by RIR during WWI? My mate is trying to trace some info on his granddad and has only one pic to go on. The old boy is wearing standard RIR cap badge and RIR shoulder insignia on his collars and what looks like a white lanyard on left shoulder. I presume lanyard signifies battalion but would have thought RIR word black or rifle green?
Old 23-07-12, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

The lanyard will have no significance other than he had a pocket knife. Lanyards were utility items in WW1 and did not come in battalion colours and designs until much later on.
Old 23-07-12, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Did any British units wear the French Fourragere? I think if they won unit decorations a certain number of times they become eligible? Not sure if they were permitted though?
Old 29-09-13, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Did any British units wear the French Fourragere? I think if they won unit decorations a certain number of times they become eligible? Not sure if they were permitted though?
A late follow up as I am going through the Forum threads to collate info and pictures on lanyards.
My research so far indicates that a French Fourragere of the Coix de Guerre in red and green was worn by 6/7 Black Watch TA later 3 Black Watch (V) and by HQ Coy and a Black Watch company of the 51st Highland Volunteers.
Does anyone have more detail ANC a photo?

Tim