British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-17, 07:28 PM

Default Inniskilling Fusiliers Badge

What do you make of this one ? It appears to be an officers bullion collar badge. With a brass backing plate and pin fitted. Cap badge, or sweetheart perhaps ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1507663311772-609840547.jpg (21.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1507663467514-75596234.jpg (20.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-10-17, 02:36 PM

I think either of your suggestions are plausible.

I have nothing on the matter to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, but have two illustrations of a vertical embroidered grenade badge , collar badge size in caps for Royal Munster Fusiliers Officers .

attached on the left , Lt. Gen. De C. Morton as illustrated in Captain S. McCance, “The History of The Royal Munster Fusiliers from 1861 to 1922 (Disbandment), (Aldershot, U.K, Gale & Polden) 1927, vol. II plate 4, appears to be wearing a similar size and orientation badge to yours on the FSC in mess dress. The date of this image is unknown but is pre 1896 as the shell jacket ceased to be worn in mess dress that year.

A second occurrence is that of Drum Major Hickey , 1st Bn. R.M.F. photographed in India/Burma c.1907 - 1913 wearing an embroidered badge with a narrow flame set, much different that the embroidered badge worn in the “straight-up” forage cap used pre-1902. Photo Hickey Family Descendants at royalmunsterfusiliers.org

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (87.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg hickey cropped heavy.jpg (81.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-10-17, 03:09 PM

Thanks John. Leaning towards it being a cap badge. Mainly because the pin is quite thick for a sweetheart.
Danny
Old 12-10-17, 01:59 AM

I too think it a type of cap badge. While it may be possible that it is some sort of "sweetheart", it does not have the usual attributes of such. I also doubt it is a collar badge as well, although some mess dress collar badges exist that were pin back.
There were many orders of dress and changes circa the turn of the last century.
Officer's badges were of course private purchase, along with the rest of their kit, and considerable variations are expected to be found. Regulations may dictate a general design, but beyond that there is often very little to nothing.
A very nice badge I think!

CB
Old 12-10-17, 03:31 AM

I would agree, a collar badge modified for wear in headdress is a likely explanation.

Several of the fusilier regiments seem to have adopted the practice of wearing smaller collar badge size items in headdress.

IF I see any Royal Inniskilling Fusilier photos or images that relate I will pass them on.

John
Old 12-10-17, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the additional info. Forgot to mention approx size of badge is 55mm X 25mm.