British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-10-17, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gall.jpg (13.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-10-17, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi all

Here are a small selection of Gallipoli Association lapel badges. The "
stick pins" are all made in New Zealand with the "lollipop" one from Wellington and the other two from Auckland.

Interesting to note the variation in the colour of the "shield" although why this is I guess we'll never know. The white shield version was still being made in the 1970s although I guess that orders wouldn't have been coming through on a daily basis.....

There is a gent's tie that features this symbol which would be nice to find (I've seen the photos of this being worn at reunions and I do look in the op shops from time to time)

The bigger circular version (note the Union Jack) with the Latin motto must be fairly scarce and possibly predates the smaller "amber/ blue" one that started this thread.

Comments welcome!
Thank you for posting these pictures. Was your amber/blue badge manufactured by J R Gaunt?
Old 04-10-17, 11:53 PM

Hi

Yes, the amber/blue badge is a Gaunt effort but the bigger badge has no maker's mark on it.

I still think that the BIGGER badge is older. The Latin motto is intriguing and I'll work on a meaning (5 years of the language more years ago than I care to remember as this mat betray my age....).

Unless someone wants to beat me to it!
Old 05-10-17, 02:03 AM

Hi

You've got a New Zealand-made Gallipoli stick pin, made in Auckland by a firm that started in 1921. Probably marked "STG. SIL." ?

These are the ones that were still being made in the 1970s although for a smaller and smaller "audience"......

Your Gallipoli plaque will be rather crudely "named" (looks like a "Mr Minute" job!) whereas the NZ named ones are pantograph named.

In essence, it may well be that your "man" was born in New Zealand or belonged to the NZ Gallipoli Association or acquired his badge from here.
Old 05-10-17, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

You've got a New Zealand-made Gallipoli stick pin, made in Auckland by a firm that started in 1921. Probably marked "STG. SIL." ?

These are the ones that were still being made in the 1970s although for a smaller and smaller "audience"......

Your Gallipoli plaque will be rather crudely "named" (looks like a "Mr Minute" job!) whereas the NZ named ones are pantograph named.

In essence, it may well be that your "man" was born in New Zealand or belonged to the NZ Gallipoli Association or acquired his badge from here.
Thanks for the info.
cheers
Old 05-10-17, 10:59 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

G'day High Wood & others

I certainly have never seen anything like it here in Aussie, that's not to say I have seen every badge, but if I had seen it, I would have added it to my collection.

We did make badges with the half moon fitting both for the Scouts and the RSL.

I hope that this helps

Regards

Phil.
Old 06-10-17, 01:30 AM

Hi Phil

We can help you with one of the NZ stickpins if you want (just PM me!) and interested in your comments about the other badge.
Old 12-10-17, 01:54 AM

Hi all

I have just had a colleague get back to me with a good translation of that motto in Latin:

‘May envy/hate be absent from our words; while we are alive (or, while we live), let us live’.

Wonder if they kept to the idea......
Old 12-10-17, 07:09 AM

That is a handsome little badge, I like it very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I bought this at Malvern today. Made by J.R. Gaunt London, it appears to be a Gallipoli veteran's lapel badge but I cannot find nothing about it on the internet. Any thoughts please?
Old 16-10-17, 01:41 AM

Thanks Frank. Next one I see is yours!