British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-12-15, 09:28 AM

Default Brass Irish Defence Forces Cap Badge

Hi all. I picked up this very worn example at the weekend, mainly so I could learn more about them. I am having trouble pinning a date down for these brass badges. Can anyone give me any more information about when this might have been used? It measures roughly 3.5cm across. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imag2244.jpg (95.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg imag2245.jpg (110.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-12-15, 11:35 AM

Try this web sit, it may help- http://www.irishmilitaryinsignia.com/

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 08-12-15, 11:37 AM

With the exception of a few specific design variations you will struggle to put anything other than a very wide time range for the period of wear of the Irish Defence Forces national cap badge. What you have is an other ranks pattern badge.

The design was adopted as the cap badge in 1922 by the armed forces of the newly created Irish Free State. The badge was originally adopted by the Irish Volunteers in October 1914 source for this date is;

A Pictorial History of Óglaigh na hÉireann, the Defence Forces of Ireland (PDF). Booklet (Irish Defence Forces). 2012. p. 15

In 1922 the badge was issued in a bronzed finish for other ranks. I do not have a definitive date for the introduction of the brass but it appears to have been issued in the late 1920's / early 1930’s. Having looked at some material after my initial commentary it appears as if the brass versions were in use by the end of the 1920's

The brass badge remained on issue until sometime in the 1960’s/70’s when an anodized version was introduced. Brass badges could still be seen worn and polished into the 1980’s on an individual basis although no longer on issue.

So you have an O/R badge c. late 1920’s – c. 1970’s

Specific versions which can be dated more narrowly are.

1. The white metal volunteer force version of 1934-39
2. The 1923 gilded versions with enamel inlays for staff officers

The website run by James Perkins has fallen into a state of disrepair, it used to have a good set of images of the national cap badge with some specific dates but few primary references. These appear as of today to be no longer on line.
If you want to try to follow up the contact page is here. I do not know if he monitors this site or replies.

http://www.irishmilitaryinsignia.com...ash_index.html

Badges : Medals : Insignia (Irish Defense Forces) Paperback – 1987 by James J. Hogan (Author), Willie Cooper (Photographer) has some very general info. I would be happy to send you a scan. PM me your e-mail address if interested.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 08-12-15 at 04:47 PM. Reason: modified dates and corrected spelling
Old 08-12-15, 07:00 PM

Thanks guys. I had tried the Irish Military Insignia site but as stated part of its appear to be down. John, I would be interested in seeing a scan. I will PM my email address. Cheers.