British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-09-15, 07:12 PM

Default What do these filed cuts on beret badge mean?

I picked up this Algerian War period French Airborne coloniaux maroon beret at an insignia show last weekend. I wanted it because of these file cuts along half the perimeter of the beret badge. I've seen this once before on a French winged dagger beret badge of the type worn by the French Foreign Legion paratroopers. I thought maybe these cuts referred to combat jumps (16 to 17?) but the same photos were sent to a collector and former paratrooper in France who doesn't know what they signify but they are not for combat jumps. The beret badge is missing the loops on the back and sewn directly to the beret. The manufacture of the beret badge is Coinderoux. Does anyone know what these cuts were for?

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg
Old 23-09-15, 07:22 PM

Maybe years of service.

Marc
Old 23-09-15, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Maybe years of service.

Marc
You are probably correct. I just received information from another source that said this beret probably belonged to a conscript or draftee who couldn't wait to get out of the Army and kept track of his time in service by filing these cuts into his beret badge. Does anyone know for sure if this was a practice for I guess discontent soldiers?
Old 23-09-15, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonomachi View Post
You are probably correct. I just received information from another source that said this beret probably belonged to a conscript or draftee who couldn't wait to get out of the Army and kept track of his time in service by filing these cuts into his beret badge. Does anyone know for sure if this was a practice for I guess discontent soldiers?
I was about to say the same thing - the equivalent of the of the British National Serviceman's "chuff chart" or "days to do chart". The file marks would be months and possible, the hatched period (c 2 o'clock) - 3 weeks mid-service leave? Mike
Old 23-09-15, 08:18 PM

Posted in error.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 23-09-15, 11:11 PM

Starting in 1950, conscription,for military service,in France was for 18 months but was increased and maintained up to 30 months in certain cases.
One thing to mention in this case is, that all paratroopers units whether "coloniaux"(maroon beret) or "métropolitains" (light blue beret up to 1956-57 then maroon) were made up of volunteers only....so the hashmarks on your badge could signify the time the para already spent in service....*

Jo

* in this case your guess is as good as mine....

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 24-09-15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 24-09-15, 02:06 AM

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 13-10-15, 05:23 PM

Default Cuts on beret badge

I have also been told they do signify combat jumps. This may be a practice which varied between units, so one paratrooper may not be aware of what other units did....the French did perform many combat jumps in Indochina and Algeria, so cuts on a beret badge would be a visible tally for an old sweat.
Old 14-10-15, 12:35 AM
Banned

17 jumps? How many para jumps did they do in Indo China and Algeria?
Old 14-10-15, 01:46 AM

In Indochina, there was 153 jumps made by 14 Para Battalions (6 were French,6 Vietnamese Para Batt.,1 Laotian,1er BPL, and 1 Khmer,1er BPK).
52 jumps were made at the company level,63 at the battalion level for re-enforcing garrisons, and 33 at battalion level on search and destry missions.
You have to remeber that at that time, all paras units serving in Indochina were made up of volunteers* only and were used as "troupes de choc" by the French HQ and most of the time as "firemen" whenever their services were required.

* All French,Sengalese,Moroccan,Algerian troops serving in Indochina were volunteers serving for a period of 24 months and, but more often 30 months.

Jo

As for the Algerian conflict I'm trying to find the total jumps made......

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 14-10-15 at 01:56 AM.