British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-17, 08:28 AM

Thanks to all and hopefully I can continue to be active here.

Jerry
Old 23-11-17, 08:34 PM

Arrived in Jerusalem and have forum access.

Jerry
Old 23-11-17, 09:08 PM

Jerry, Good news on your safe arrival.

Jack
Old 24-11-17, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Arrived in Jerusalem and have forum access.
That’s cracking news, Jerry. And the time difference is what...two hours ahead there, so business as usual!

Best,

Marcus
Old 24-11-17, 03:03 PM

All good so far, though flat hunting yet to cone as only in airbnb for a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20171124_15_46_16_Pro.jpg (57.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20171124_15_25_39_Pro.jpg (81.8 KB, 17 views)

Jerry
Old 24-11-17, 03:18 PM

Well done Jerry,

And thanks for the updates and pics. It must be quite an adventure moving to such an interesting and historic place.

Perhaps the inspiration for a new collection?

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 26-11-17, 08:21 AM

Thanks Roy,

in my trips here I have yet to find any militaria for sale except some modern IDF badges and berets in Eilat last spring.

It would be great to find some WWI or WWII items, or six days war etc...Hopefully I'll find some sooner or later.

Jerry
Old 26-11-17, 09:10 AM

In 1978-80 on a few trips to Tel Aviv I visited a little "junk shop" in the stretch of Allenby Street that leads to the beach.
It was run by an ex- Zion Mule Corps man & amongst his wares were military insignia of that time & also some earlier bits & pieces.
I bought myself lots of insignia & berets & I got more for "Surplus Supplies of Cambridge which I passed on to them at cost price.
At that time you could buy headgear & rank insignia but I was unable to buy cloth formation signs, being told it wasn't allowed.
In Ben Yehudah there were a few surplus shops where you could find old respirators, dust goggles & the like.
All those places will be long gone, but try contacting Alex at "Historiama", he sells militaria & perhaps he can steer you to other outlets:

http://www.historama.com/history-sho...militaria.html

Some Israel based sellers offer items like insignia & berets on eBay, try contacting them in the hope they have suitable stuff that you can pick up?
Old 26-11-17, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
In 1978-80 on a few trips to Tel Aviv I visited a little "junk shop" in the stretch of Allenby Street that leads to the beach.
It was run by an ex- Zion Mule Corps man & amongst his wares were military insignia of that time & also some earlier bits & pieces.
I bought myself lots of insignia & berets & I got more for "Surplus Supplies of Cambridge which I passed on to them at cost price.
At that time you could buy headgear & rank insignia but I was unable to buy cloth formation signs, being told it wasn't allowed.
In Ben Yehudah there were a few surplus shops where you could find old respirators, dust goggles & the like.
All those places will be long gone, but try contacting Alex at "Historiama", he sells militaria & perhaps he can steer you to other outlets:

http://www.historama.com/history-sho...militaria.html

Some Israel based sellers offer items like insignia & berets on eBay, try contacting them in the hope they have suitable stuff that you can pick up?
Thanks Leigh, this is appreciated. Good to have an address for shop, it is near the area where we are likely to be living. We have yet to finalise a flat yet!

Jerry
Old 26-11-17, 11:27 AM

Again, the people I met along that little strip of Allenby will be long gone, the bit down by the beach was rough, ill lit with drunks huddled around 40 gal oil drum braziers outside sleazy little bars, shouting & fighting.
The other end had a few jewelers & antique shops which were too upmarket for me although they had a few exotic looking foreign awards, crosses in gilt, silver enamels etc for sale.
The red light district to the south side & a new hotel district to the north (or so it was described to me at the time).
My hotel on that visit turned out to be down a side road there on the south side.
I spent a great evening swigging Macabee & eating falafel & pizza around one of those volcanic oil drums, an American Israeli guy introduced me to a little old lady (ex of the nocturnal sidewalk perambulation persuasion) & a few other ex concentration camp survivors. All still had their camp tattoos.
They understood virtually no English & I understood less as the evening wore on.
A slightly scarier version of sitting in an English town square drinking Special Brew with the local winos I suppose, but they were interesting people who'd obviously been through a heck of an experience.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 26-11-17 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 26-11-17, 02:26 PM

Hi Jerry, there is a small kiosk outside the bus station on Jaffa Road and a small distance back towards the old town is a shop on the opposite side that sells military surplus and has a few badges and insignia, or was a couple of years ago, best wishes Mike
Old 26-11-17, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Jerry, there is a small kiosk outside the bus station on Jaffa Road and a small distance back towards the old town is a shop on the opposite side that sells military surplus and has a few badges and insignia, or was a couple of years ago, best wishes Mike
Thanks Mike.

I was on the Jaffa road earlier, went to look at a flat near there, toward the western outskirts out in Nachlaot.

Jerry
Old 26-11-17, 02:59 PM

Hi Jerry, Mike Schnur is very good but I think he lives near Haifa, I do have an email address for him, best wishes Mike

Last edited by fearnaught; 26-11-17 at 03:14 PM. Reason: new post