British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-02-15, 05:02 PM

Default Interest in Weaponry

Gentlemen,
While British and Commonwealth Military Badges constitute a significant portion of my collection, I'm classified as what is called a "magpie" collector, i.e. full spectrum of militaria (less vehicles and heavy caliber weaponry). You certainly have found another kindred spirit. For those who may have the time and inclination you may want to glance at; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2012/1...-airborne.html and http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2011/1...dard-semi.html. In order to balance to balance viewers other potential interests, would like to provide; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2011/0...headdress.html.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Old 09-02-15, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
WARNING...! If you are easily offended please do NOT read this post and look way

Hi Gents,

I too have very fond memories of the SLR, a really cracking rifle. I always wanted one too but I recall the restrictions introduced in the mid 1980's and realized I would have to let that dream go (in standard configuration) or so I thought...!

However! And at the risk of offending all and sundry a couple of years back I had a custom one built for me by a manufacturer here in the US who specialized in producing modern versions of the SLR (known here as the FAL). I don't shoot much, I guess I'm just more of a collector than shooter but I must confess I love this rifle, to me it is a work of art. See photos attached.

Cheers, Roy.

P.s. Two posts above - Very well said Dave, couldn't agree more.

Thank for posting your extremely offensive pics Roy!!

Totally A W E S O M E!
Old 09-02-15, 06:49 PM
E-squadron

ArnhemJim... That's some "man cave" you have there!

Andy
Old 09-02-15, 08:34 PM

I concur with E-squadron's comment - Wow - what a man cave! Awesome collection, congratulations on assembling such a grouping, and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-02-15, 08:53 PM
E-squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooffy View Post
I concur with E-squadron's comment - Wow - what a man cave! Awesome collection, congratulations on assembling such a grouping, and thanks for sharing.
I do think he should add a glider pilot helmet to that collection of headgear though

Andy
Old 09-02-15, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post

In fact, my holy grail has been for the past few years, the SLR rifle, I liked it when I used it and I would like one now but that doesn't detract from anything I say or do about badges ??

Dave.
Here you are Dave, a picture of the elephant gun just for you!

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wack 001.jpg (101.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 09-02-15, 10:21 PM

Ivan,

A cracking image mate.

And just for interest here is another one me on the right (looking a little younger).

Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (77.7 KB, 67 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 09-02-15, 11:07 PM
E-squadron

What a cracking weapon the SLR was; the last "proper" British Army rifle IMHO..... so much nicer than that "thing" that followed

Andy.
Old 09-02-15, 11:14 PM

Nyles,

I must render my apologies - I think we went a little off topic and highjacked you thread somewhat with out nostalgic ramblings about the venerable SLR.

But hopefully you will see it as all good fun

Cheers, Roy.

Old 09-02-15, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Ivan,

A cracking image mate.

And just for interest here is another one me on the right (looking a little younger).

Roy.
I see you favoured the all plastic version! Is that Otterburn or Sennybridge?
Old 09-02-15, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Brecon Beacons in the middle of winter - bloody cold as I recall.

Roy.

Old 10-02-15, 12:04 AM

Ha, Wales it is then! You can tell it's cold, the Good old Woolley pully is in evidence.

Now here's a sad thing, I can actually remember the serial number of my SLR, it was 23619

I too am sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 10-02-15, 08:12 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Here you are Dave, a picture of the elephant gun just for you!

Ivan
Cheers Ivan,

A great weapon, IMO, I am definitely beginning to lose it as I get older but one endearing memory I do have of Sennybridge is lying at the bottom of a hill, just as the snow was beginning to thaw.

My denims were absolutely soaked and some ponce of lieutenant thought it would be a jolly jape to sling a ' thunder flash ' my way, apart from needing a change of underwear, I was absolutely covered in everything and anything, ten years later and I might have done something about it but at 16, what did I know ??

Sorry Nyles, well and truly hi-jacked but at least we are talking weapons !!

Dave.
Old 10-02-15, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-squadron View Post
What a cracking weapon the SLR was; the last "proper" British Army rifle IMHO..... so much nicer than that "thing" that followed

Andy.
Andy, I feel I have to defend the SA80. I only used it once and that was sub-calibre on the indoor range during my reserve period. I liked it immediately and saw the benefits of using a bullpup, particularly in the standing and kneeling positions. I realise the A1 version had far too many faults and wasn't trialled properly before it replaced the SLR but my opinion, garnered from comments made by serving soldiers, is that the A2 version is the equal of many contemporary assault rifles. See the many comments for the weapon on Arsse.

The SLR had its perpetual problems too but we tend to overlook those now and our eyes mist over with nostalgia for a much loved weapon. Don't be surprised to hear young soldiers sticking up for the SA80 these days because it's all they've ever known and when the day comes (and it isn't far off) when the SA80 is replaced, they'll be decrying its replacement in much the same way as some old hands knock the SA80.

Quote:
Did anyone have a choice whether they had wooden or plastic furniture? At any rate I much preferred plastic because it made what was quite a heavy rifle that little bit lighter and easier to use. I always found that with the SLR you needed massive upper body strength to shoot accurately in the stood standing up or kneeling positions.
Old 10-02-15, 11:19 AM

As you can see in my picture, mine had a wooden butt and a plastic handguard (it was during the period when wooden furniture was gradually being replaced with plastic).

I preferred the feel of a wooden butt (that sounds so wrong) to the plastic and I managed to keep it like that just by pleading with the armourer not to change it.

Believe it or not, the plastic butt was heavier than the wooden one as it had to be strengthened for the return spring rod. Hard to believe I know but once when the armourer was changing parts, I managed to weigh both a wooden one and a plastic one to convince myself!

And then they gave us that flippen lump with bits of plastic that broke off and you needed 4 hands to do the drills because of the buttons and catches.