British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-06-13, 07:29 AM

Most of those look awful..........
Old 02-06-13, 02:54 PM

Discolouration due to heat from brazing and if flux was left on over a period of time this would also cause discolouration. Workmanship is very old. Mr B (auctioneer) was very happy with it, now I may not always know the answer, but with his many years in the business, I would go by his judgement and yes I did buy it from him!

John
Old 02-06-13, 03:36 PM

Just my opinion but it shouldn't be discoloured, the RND is a later addition to the badge.
Andy.
Old 02-06-13, 05:07 PM

the first badge mention in this thread,seems to have a modern cast RND s/title soldered to a genuine MGC cap badge.
the second badge is more interesting genuine MGC badge genuine RND s/title.
the construction looks more like badge factory than field work.
the no lugs is not a problem if made in a badge factory.
and not all RND badges were made by gaunts.
the conundrum to me is the oxidation from the heat process and it being still there. if made in a factory it should have been pickled and would have disappeared.
also if as royston states it is brazed the oxidation is too localised,it takes alot of heat to make a braze joint.
but most of this is as usual just speculation and i would really like to think that the old boys could make a joint like that without oxidising the whole badge.
and when ever it was done all you are going to have is a genuine badge and a genuine s/title fixed together and that one is just that and very neat job as well.
Bob
Old 02-06-13, 07:36 PM
Former Member

I'm yet to be convinced that any part of this "Knock Up" is genuine, apart from the solder! The Title part in my opinion is 100% copy/fake (which would date the marriage post 1970's) and the MGC badge looks like a Repro that has had it's slider bashed about a bit!

Most small crowned MGC cap badge have feint lines within the elipse below the headband of the crown, which I cannot see on this particular example, a few examples of "Genuine" variations shown below. Mr "B" may like it but Mr "P" certainly does not! I think it is 100% a "BIG FAT FAKE"!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001 (5).jpg (83.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 02-06-13 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 10:08 PM

Is it me, or is this a spray-tanned fake with push fasteners added?

http://www.whartonmilitaria.co.uk/de...s&item=WRU0012
Old 03-06-13, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
I'm yet to be convinced that any part of this "Knock Up" is genuine, apart from the solder! The Title part in my opinion is 100% copy/fake (which would date the marriage post 1970's) and the MGC badge looks like a Repro that has had it's slider bashed about a bit!

Most small crowned MGC cap badge have feint lines within the elipse below the headband of the crown, which I cannot see on this particular example, a few examples of "Genuine" variations shown below. Mr "B" may like it but Mr "P" certainly does not! I think it is 100% a "BIG FAT FAKE"!

Andy
we will have to agree to disagree on the badge ,i have seen well defined lines, faint lines and no lines on original MGC badges.
would have been a massive order probably somewhere in the region of 180,000 to 200.000 badges,if all done by the same company if not the dies will be different anyway.(can't understand why people pay £20/£25 for such a common badge)
the ones at the end of run will be done with dies that are worn and have slight differences to the ones at the start of a run.
even get different ft/lbs on a press thats not been oiled properly.
blank cutters that have not been hardened properly and wear out after a day leaving ragged edges.
its not such a precise science as people make out especially in war time when alot of the original personnel would have joined up.
Bob
Old 05-06-13, 03:50 PM

Found this in an odds box, it's had the slider removed and has been soldered and glued to something. I've read a few threads but still not sure what to think
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RND1.jpg (61.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg RND2.jpg (64.1 KB, 38 views)

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 05-06-13, 06:56 PM

Default More pictures.

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay. Been quite a busy time. Some more pics of the crown attached.

I have been looking through RND archive photo's and alas, I have not even found a picture of anybody even wearing this badge in the RND. Plenty with the battalion badges.

I guess without any firm evidence of production methods of these badges, this just becomes a curio.

Anyway, I would just like to say thanks again for all your support.

Kindest Regards

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100993.jpg (81.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1100994.jpg (59.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1100996.jpg (64.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-06-13, 08:44 AM

Reference illustrations of the badge being worn. A.C.Motts book Machine Gunner. ISBN 0 946995-79-6 Published by Galango Books, shows two photographs of the badge attached to the cap, in this case three caps. The photographs also show the formation sign.

John

Tags
rnd