British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-14, 08:59 PM

Hi Iain, please find images of the two post war arm badges. The metal one, according to "Another look at things to do with the RTR and it's predecessors" by P Payne and J MacDonald, was from Oct 1956 CB0183 for tropical and No 3 Dress, the Aluminium, Anodised, Gold CB 8455 99 973 9328 was introduced Oct1987. The group of metal arm badges are WW1 and post WW1. The silver bullion are just that and are from WW1 to present day, the two gold badges are for the band, hope this helps, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US police and tanks 117.jpg (29.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg US police and tanks 118.jpg (32.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg US police and tanks 119.jpg (56.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg US police and tanks 121.jpg (66.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg US police and tanks 122.jpg (40.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 13-07-14, 09:05 PM

Hi, please find one dress blues trying very hard to be black, the belt is totally different to the one Iain has. The other belt is the bandsman's belt, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US police and tanks 123.jpg (67.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg US police and tanks 126.jpg (62.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg US police and tanks 120.jpg (52.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 14-07-14, 05:21 AM

Thanks Mike,

you have an amazing collection of RTR insignia. I see another metal sleeve badge in there that I have in your WWI group; The brass cast, 2nd from top, right.

Thanks for sharing.

regards, Iain

Last edited by iaindh; 14-07-14 at 05:34 AM.
Old 14-07-14, 08:34 AM

Hi Iain, thank you but I'm still looking for bits. The cast armbadge you mentioned is Indian or ME. If you look carefully you should see traces of silver plate, especially on the back. Rough old things aren't they? Best wishes Mike
Old 23-07-14, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
Hi Iain

The arm badge you show in your initial post was worn by 1RTR ORs on OGs in Hong Kong, 1957-1960.

During our time in the colony the regiment was selected/nominated to provide an "Honor (sic) Guard" for the talks between North and South Korea following the termination of hostilities. All units were liable for this duty and the First took its place in the line, c1958. The belt was a local manufacture I think; it was worn by the members of this small detachment in lieu of our normal black webbing ones.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Gordon

I was on the advance party (17/21L) when we took over from the 1RTR in 1960. There were still a few Comets on the tank park otherwise we were equipped with Centurions. The Comets we used as targets on the Lo Wu ranges. I was also on the party that served with the 8th US Army Honor Guard at Kimpo. Small world.
Old 23-08-14, 02:05 AM

Hi Gordon,

would you happen to know how many of these belts were made?

kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Hi Iain

During our time in the colony the regiment was selected/nominated to provide an "Honor (sic) Guard" for the talks between North and South Korea following the termination of hostilities. All units were liable for this duty and the First took its place in the line, c1958. The belt was a local manufacture I think; it was worn by the members of this small detachment in lieu of our normal black webbing ones.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 24-08-14, 11:03 AM

Default Honor Guard numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Gordon,

would you happen to know how many of these belts were made?

kind regards, Iain
Hi Iain

Sadly I cannot be exact. The detachment was quite small I think, probably no more than two dozen. The Guard is probably recorded in an edition of the regimental journal. I can't help with that because I gave all mine to the museum in Bovington many years ago.
You could try them and ask them to look for a photograph for you, quoting dad's service with the Regiment or appeal to the Forum membership for help.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 24-08-14, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Mike

Good to hear from you. The brass Arm Badge, with black backing, was worn by 1RTR in Hong Kong wef our arrival in June 1957. I have never seen or heard of a staybrite version.

I have no idea why the belt was produced with the king's crown. We were well into queen's crown beret badges by '57. I have always assumed that the belts were produced in theatre but could be wrong. they could have been sent out from UK for the Korean Honour Guard. I have one somewhere. I will dig it out and see if I can find the manufacturer's details anywhere. This may take a little time; don't hold your breath!

Best wishes

Gordon
keep your eyes open Gordon, the anodised arm badge appears for sale on a regular basis.
Old 25-08-14, 06:38 AM

Hi Gordon,

thanks, I will try contacting Bovington as you suggest.

kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Hi Iain

Sadly I cannot be exact. The detachment was quite small I think, probably no more than two dozen. The Guard is probably recorded in an edition of the regimental journal. I can't help with that because I gave all mine to the museum in Bovington many years ago.
You could try them and ask them to look for a photograph for you, quoting dad's service with the Regiment or appeal to the Forum membership for help.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 09-01-18, 09:22 PM

Looking at the group of metal arm badges in the third photograph, I'd be very interested to know which examples are WW1 and which of them are actually postwar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Iain, please find images of the two post war arm badges. The metal one, according to "Another look at things to do with the RTR and it's predecessors" by P Payne and J MacDonald, was from Oct 1956 CB0183 for tropical and No 3 Dress, the Aluminium, Anodised, Gold CB 8455 99 973 9328 was introduced Oct1987. The group of metal arm badges are WW1 and post WW1. The silver bullion are just that and are from WW1 to present day, the two gold badges are for the band, hope this helps, Mike
Old 10-01-18, 08:07 AM

Hi Frank, top right is definitely ww1, top left could be but probably early post war M.E or Indian manufacture. Second down left is an oddity, I'm fairly certain it is ww1 but probably not used, when they do turn up they are mint. The rest are post ww1. What made you resurrect such an old thread? best wishes Mike
Old 11-01-18, 08:56 AM

Hello Mike,
I was just interested, very little seems to have been written about them, I had hoped last years "tank one hundred" may have yielded more information, what are your thoughts on dates for the others?
Regards Frank
Old 11-01-18, 11:58 AM

Hi Frank, the lower ones are from between the wars for KD, the ones on the right are correct, those on the left are frequently copied, some appearing with Firmin on the back. I've not seen one that looks genuinely used. The fact that they appear both in w/m and brass mitigates against them as they were silver/ w/m, though the silver plate is usually rubbed off, so they normally appear to be brass and well used, hope that all makes sense and helps, best wishes Mike
Old 12-01-18, 01:45 PM

Hello Mike,
Okay, so all the examples in the photograph are original, including, those on the left, did Firmin actually make those, or, are those which bare their mark all completely spurious?
Regards again, Frank
Old 12-01-18, 04:16 PM

Hi Frank, I'm not happy with those on the left for the reasons I gave, i.e. appearing in several different guises and usually mint. I have no direct evidence that they are copies/ fakes and may be totally wrong, not for the first time, but I have doubts as to their authenticity. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong and I won't have wasted my money on them, sorry for any ambiguity Mike