British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-06-16, 10:32 PM

Default A Happy Man......

The four millionth British soldier to be demobilised, Rifleman John Neale, aged 31, of the King's Royal Rifles, leaves his unit in Brussels, Belgium with his kit bag 9 February 1946. Rifleman Neale, of Hounslow, Middlesex, served as an officer's batman before demobilisation.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...6._BU12271.jpg

Click on the pic.....KRRC plastic cap badge......????

Rifleman John Neale, aged 31, of the King's Royal Rifle Corps, arrives at 112 Transit Camp, Calais, and is greeted by the commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel W C Furminger, with a glass of champagne.

Personnal comment here: he seems rather "oldish" to be in the army....
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 02-01-18, 11:05 AM

Smile

Perhaps he just had a long paper-round!
Looks happy to be coming home with his kit-bag.

But

I have some Cap badges that have come with the medal that I have in my family collection but really now very little about this subject....... Can anyone help!

Happy Collecting and thank you for any help that you Badge Collectors may offer.
Old 02-01-18, 11:47 AM

I was issued with one of those at Winchester in 1945.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KRRC crop.jpg (10.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-01-18, 09:22 AM

There is a similarly sourced photo of a Pioneer Corps soldier being demobilised and then issued his ‘demob suit’ (2 images) who looks a lot more “oldish” Jo. Perhaps you can find it.
Old 06-01-18, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
There is a similarly sourced photo of a Pioneer Corps soldier being demobilised and then issued his ‘demob suit’ (2 images) who looks a lot more “oldish” Jo. Perhaps you can find it.

© IWM (BU 8056)
Private Bill Krepper, aged 55 years, of the Pioneer Corps, holding up his 'demob' papers, at the Regent's Park demobilisation centre in London, 19 June 1945. Private Krepper of Penge, London, was one of the first British soldiers to be demobilised by the British Army. He had joined up on 27 May 1940. Prior to that, he had also served in France during the First World War.

© IWM (BU 8063)
Private Bill Krepper of the Pioneer Corps is assisted in the selection of his demob suit by a civilian tailor at the demobilisation clothing depot, Olympia, London.

© IWM (BU 8067)
Mr. Bill Krepper, late of the Pioneer Corps, leaves the demobilisation clothing depot at Olympia, London, as a civilian, wearing his demob suit.

© IWM (UNI 2965)
Waistcoat Grey pinstriped waistcoat of civilian style.

When servicemen completed their period of war service they went to a demobilisation centre for processing where their uniform and personal kit was exchanged for a civilian style clothing, known as a 'demob suit'. The man had a choice of clothing but this was limited to a double-breasted pinstripe three-piece suit, or a single-breasted jacket with flannel trousers. Headdress was the conventional felt hat or the optional flat cap. Two shirts (with matching collar studs); a tie; shoes and a raincoat completed ensemble that was produced for the War Department. Clothing was sized and labelled in much the same way as military clothing, together with the WD 'arrow' marking. An identifying label was fitted to the lower left sleeve of the jacket and this was detached when once the suit had been accepted.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 07-01-18, 10:23 PM

That’s the exact man I meant Jo. Well spotted!
Old 07-01-18, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
That’s the exact man I meant Jo. Well spotted!

Jo