British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-13, 10:46 AM

Default Tin triangles on the Somme

Hi

Not quite sure where to post this, but trust it'll get moved to a more appropriate section if need be

In studying the Battle of the Somme, in particular July 1. I've come across references to tin triangles worn/pinned to the backs of soldiers going over the top. The idea was so that the artillery could identify how far the waves had gotten at a given time.

"The situation of men lying in No Man's Land was aggravated by a shiny tin triangle each wore on his back. These were to enable identification by the liaison aircraft and artillery observers, but for men lying wounded, or in such cover as they could find, they also signalled any movement to the enemy."

"The men had tin plated triangles on their backs so that, when they lay down, the sun was reflecting these bright squares and triangles on their backs and they were easily seen." (Beaumont Hamel)

I find very little information on this elsewhere. Does anyone know if these were issued as such? I think some made their own fron beef-cans. Others had a red stripe on them?
Are there any of these kicking around on ebay? I've never seen one for sale.
Even if only 50,000 were issued, you'd expect some to crop up. Then again, tin rusts, and maybe most don't recognize as anything significant?

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 24-09-13, 12:02 PM

In the original film of the Somme they are clearly seen, about 27 minutes into the film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krT1lX_Dvm0 I think they were worn on the small pack pointing down, about 20cm-25cm along the longest side, about 15cm in depth I should think. No, I have not seen one on eBay. You might look for info on the Great War Forum. Cheers, Paul.
PS Other images show bigger triangles, some pointing up.

Last edited by wardog; 24-09-13 at 12:24 PM.
Old 24-09-13, 12:11 PM

Double post deleted.
Old 24-09-13, 12:41 PM

I do believe I'm correct in saying that the 14th Battlion (Barnsley Pals) Y&L wore a tin diamond.

cheers,

Andy C
Old 24-09-13, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
I do believe I'm correct in saying that the 14th Battlion (Barnsley Pals) Y&L wore a tin diamond.

cheers,

Andy C
Interesting. Were they officially issued, do you know? Do you have any pics?

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 24-09-13, 01:21 PM

These were officially issued - manufactured locally. As Wardog says they were strung over the back with the point downwards and were a recognition symbol/marker, not just for artillery but for any troops following behind in the second/third waves. I might have something on them somewhere on my bookshelves. I'll have a wee look later. In the meantime a bit of Googling is called for.

Result:

See image.

All information supplied so far is correct and there's a very interesting discussion at the Great War Forum here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...owtopic=186497

Someone in that thread points to Middlebrook as a source. I have a copy of Middlebrook's "First Day of the Somme" here so I'll reference it later.

Ref Middlebrook - have searched it and find no refs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg somme.jpg (72.0 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Hussar100; 24-09-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 24-09-13, 03:13 PM

As has already been stated, yes these were issued and used to identify troops movements and progression from either behind the lines or from the air.

The Newfoundland Regiment wore these as well at Beumont-Hammel. I think we all know what happened to that Regiment there. Was it due to these silver triangles, I don't think so, however I would think these paid a part in it.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 24-09-13, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
As has already been stated, yes these were issued and used to identify troops movements and progression from either behind the lines or from the air.

The Newfoundland Regiment wore these as well at Beumont-Hammel. I think we all know what happened to that Regiment there. Was it due to these silver triangles, I don't think so, however I would think these paid a part in it.
You would appear to be borne out by what is said here: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/memor...onthamel/somme

The situation of men lying in No Man's Land was aggravated by a shiny tin triangle each wore on his back. These were to enable identification by the liaison aircraft and artillery observers, but for men lying wounded, or in such cover as they could find, they also signalled any movement to the enemy.

Old 25-09-13, 11:07 AM

Smile Coloured tape and triangular pieces of tin

I may through some light on this thread.

The following is an extract from
my Durham Pals grandfather on his account of the 93rd Brigade, 31st Division attack on Serre on the first day of the battle of the Somme.

"there was to two sets of distinguishing marks to be included in our equipment. All ranks of the (Leeds Pals) West Yorks would have a triangle shaped piece of tin cut from empty biscuit tins fastened to their backs...visible to airman. Also each man had a few pieces of coloured tape fastened to his shoulder straps and hanging down his back so that the battalions would be able to recognize each other as no regimental badges or numerals were to be worn. Each colour represented the colour that had been given as a name to the trench they were to capture."

So hope that helps, regards Dean.
Old 25-09-13, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
The Newfoundland Regiment wore these as well at Beumont-Hammel.
There is a documentary that mentions these triangles. Apparently when the Newfoundlanders retreated these were christal clear targets for the Germans.
Old 25-09-13, 11:32 AM

From Barnsley Pals (Cooksey, Jon (2008-07-15)). Pen and Sword.

"We had what they called marching order without packs, just our haversacks on with a little diamond shaped piece of tin tied to it so that the sun would shine on it during the attack and show our position. We all had a bandolier around us and a Mills bomb in each pocket and all our pouches were full of ‘ammo’. I also had a telephone in a leather case with big batteries slung over my shoulder on a leather strap. It weighed a ton. I had a coil of signal wire as well, and my gun. I hadn’t a feeling for anything.” Frank Lindley, 14th Y & L Regiment
Old 25-09-13, 01:01 PM

During my little bit of research yesterday I discovered that a lot of the triangles were made from biscuit tins.
Old 25-09-13, 08:14 PM

Yes as per my post above - biscuit tins were used - the key being they were available !

There has been a past thread about discarded shoulder titles from West York Pals but I am not sure how widespread this was.

Regards Dean
Old 25-09-13, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Also each man had a few pieces of coloured tape fastened to his shoulder straps and hanging down his back so that the battalions would be able to recognize each other as no regimental badges or numerals were to be worn. Each colour represented the colour that had been given as a name to the trench they were to capture."
Very interesting, Dean. I have read somewhere that the ribbons were Divisional, i.e. a given colour pr Division, but this makes more sense. Intresting fact regarding colour-coding and trenches.

Colin

Old 25-09-13, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Yes as per my post above - biscuit tins were used - the key being they were available !

There has been a past thread about discarded shoulder titles from West York Pals but I am not sure how widespread this was.

Regards Dean
So maybe it was a mix of officially issued "triangles" and biscuit tins used?
Like you say, whatever was available.
I think, if I remeber correctly, that these triangles were used on July 1 and on one later occasion (September?), also on the Somme.

This would have been while the artillery still subscribed to the "lift" barrage, which went so horribly wrong, and was later replaced by the "creeping barrage".