British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-13, 10:07 AM

i have my Grandads maps of the Somme trenches back in the UK and as I recall the colours are marked on them still. He wrote a poem (many actually) about the Forgotten 93rd Brigade as he was saddened to be in the reserve trench with C Company 18th DLI and wanted to be alongside his pals from Leeds and Bradford Pals battalions.

He was reprimanded for bringing back at night a Leeds Pals Lewis gun instead of his Durham one which they had mixed up in repulsing German counter attacks. The Leeds Pals gun team were all killed supporting the advance.

He needed no badges on their bodies as they knew most of them by first name such had been their close training.

With the same gun he then was promoted to L/Sgt for beating off a raiding party of 50 or so Germans leaving 38 bodies in front of the trench from a 52 round drum.

Such was war.

Lest We Forget, Dean.

Last edited by mooke07; 26-09-13 at 10:22 AM.