British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-12, 04:04 PM

Question Temporary rank insignia in the British Army

Hello,
I'd like to know whether Officers appointed to a Temporary rank wear some special insignia of that rank, or just the normal one corresponding to the substantive new appointment. Do they revert to their original rank badge, when such temporary appointment expires? Thanks and regards
Old 04-05-12, 05:30 PM

As far as I know you wear the Rank badges of the Temporary rank, and in most cases you eventually get the substantive rank.

Marc
Old 06-05-12, 02:33 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
As far as I know you wear the Rank badges of the Temporary rank, and in most cases you eventually get the substantive rank.

Marc
Thank you, Marc. My question was prompted by an old British movie I recently saw "Tunes of Glory", starring Alec Guinness and John Mills. At the beginning, Guinness is an acting colonel, commanding a Scottish Battalion, pending the arrival of the effective C.O. As such, he wears the Lt.Col. rank badge. As soon as the real C.O., John Mills, arrives, Guinness, who's going to leave the Battalion, and probably the Army, is shown wearing his "old" Major's insignia. I was surprised by this "change" being made immediately. Thanks again. Cheers
Old 06-05-12, 02:56 PM

The answer lies in your correct use of the word "Acting". On the arrival of the incoming CO (in, we can assume, the substantive rank of Lt Col), the temporary incumbent ceases to be the de facto CO and reverts to his substantive rank of Maj. The the CO goes to the Officers' Mess showers............
Old 06-05-12, 04:23 PM

In the original post you asked about a 'Temporary' rank not an 'Acting' rank.

‘Temporary rank’ refers to a rank awarded for the duration, rather than a permanent commission or promotion. A temporary Captain would receive the pay, and wear the rank of a Captain. In most cases the officer is promoted to that Rank.

’Acting rank’ refers to an officer filling a higher rank on a short term basis, such as the Battery Captain acting as the Battery Commander in the absence of the Battery Commander. Such an officer would have the pay of that rank but not necessarily wear the rank as he knows he is not likely to keep it, unless he is promoted to the post or moved to a similar post for the acting rank.

Mike feel free to correct me.

Marc
Old 06-05-12, 04:31 PM
guest123a

With other ranks (OR's) there are 4 types of rank:

Substantive - meaning that for the purpose of pay, pension and seniority the rank is recorded on the solders documentation.

Acting - Again this is paid and also goes to-wards the pension (if held long enough) but does not for seniority for promotion to the next rank (3 years in that rank).

Local - The badge of the local rank is worn, but it is not paid nor does it count to-wards any pension or seniority.

Pay of higher rank - The badge of rank is not worn but the soldier is paid for the higher rank, this does not go to-wards any seniority or pension.

Local rank can go on and off like no-ones business, acting rank is harder to remove and substance even harder so.

You can see from the above that things are sometimes not clear cut and can get a little complicated, having a Substantive Cpl being an acting Sgt and wearing the rank of a C/Sgt being local in that rank.

An example of pay of higher rank, when I was a C/Sgt I commanded the Bn's Reconnaissance platoon (the job of a senior lieutenant or captain), so I got paid as a warrant officer for 18 months (one rank higher) until I was made an acting and then substantive Warrant officer.
Old 06-05-12, 04:45 PM

I'm impressed. Relatively speaking life was simpler for me after commissioning than my brief and inglorious spell as a L/A/U/LBdr!
The neatest solution is that adopted by RN Chaplains - adopt the rank of whoever you are talking to - therefore talk to Leading Hands as one would to an Admiral.

Last edited by Mike Jackson; 06-05-12 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
In the original post you asked about a 'Temporary' rank not an 'Acting' rank.

‘Temporary rank’ refers to a rank awarded for the duration, rather than a permanent commission or promotion. A temporary Captain would receive the pay, and wear the rank of a Captain. In most cases the officer is promoted to that Rank.

’Acting rank’ refers to an officer filling a higher rank on a short term basis, such as the Battery Captain acting as the Battery Commander in the absence of the Battery Commander. Such an officer would have the pay of that rank but not necessarily wear the rank as he knows he is not likely to keep it, unless he is promoted to the post or moved to a similar post for the acting rank.

Mike feel free to correct me.

Marc
Marc,
Spot on. In the example originally cited Colonel Jock Sinclair (the CO) was an Acting Lt Col (well deserved in my view, but one cannot go around hitting Cpl Pipers in a Stirling pub!)
Mike
Old 06-05-12, 05:30 PM

But didnt Corporal Piper Fraser (I think he was called ?) later say to Jock something on the lines of "To us you will always be the Colonel "

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-05-12, 06:00 PM

Default Temporary rank insignia in the B.A.

Thank you all, Gentlemen
All very intereresting answers!!!
My fault confusing "Temporary" and "Acting" definitions. Sorry. As a matter of fact, "Jock" Sinclair appeared at first with Lt.Col. rank insignia. Then he introduced himself to "Substantive" Lt.Col. Barrow, the new C.O., as "Acting Colonel". In the next scenes, and onwards, he was wearing Major insignia. That's why I posted my questions. Cheers
Old 16-09-13, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMO2440 View Post
With other ranks (OR's) there are 4 types of rank:

Substantive - meaning that for the purpose of pay, pension and seniority the rank is recorded on the solders documentation.

Acting - Again this is paid and also goes to-wards the pension (if held long enough) but does not for seniority for promotion to the next rank (3 years in that rank).

Local - The badge of the local rank is worn, but it is not paid nor does it count to-wards any pension or seniority.

Pay of higher rank - The badge of rank is not worn but the soldier is paid for the higher rank, this does not go to-wards any seniority or pension.

Local rank can go on and off like no-ones business, acting rank is harder to remove and substance even harder so.

You can see from the above that things are sometimes not clear cut and can get a little complicated, having a Substantive Cpl being an acting Sgt and wearing the rank of a C/Sgt being local in that rank.

An example of pay of higher rank, when I was a C/Sgt I commanded the Bn's Reconnaissance platoon (the job of a senior lieutenant or captain), so I got paid as a warrant officer for 18 months (one rank higher) until I was made an acting and then substantive Warrant officer.
You've left out "brevet" rank. Where the recipient wears the rank badges and has the privileges of his brevet but gets paid for a lower rank. Although I have seen a brevet major wearing captain's pips (in an unusual situation).

There's always exceptions "sigh".
Old 16-09-13, 04:06 PM

Acting Rank could be paid or un-paid

Only Substantive Rank counted towards a Service Pension, and it was your Substantive Rank held on retirement that counted (Today its your highest Substantive Rank held for 2 years in the past 5)

Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped.

Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006. However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.

Wanted Poppy Pins