British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-16, 12:41 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day guys

Just to join the conversation, I have only ever owned an KE V11 issue RAA badge, I have a set with the large flaming grenade, a large and a small button and a sleeve gun, all are still attached to the card that they came on over 30 years ago from Reg Williams and old Melb dealer, now no longer with us.

regards

Phil.
Old 10-04-16, 01:14 AM

Default GvR Artillery Badge

Hello all,
here's some pics of a GRV artillery badge a friend of mine has. Firstly yes it has the flaming section soldered to what looks like a GRV button half, however it has been fire gilded, and given that this process is extremely dangerous and no longer done, I can only assume it is an old badge.
The soldering and lugs are professionally done and the badge shows wear consistent to its age. Also the fire gilt is clearly seen over the solder. so the badge was manufactured and then gilded.
My thoughts are that this is a genuine example of the badge, factory made and not faked up. Given that it was worn for only three years, and there was probably a rush to make this badge after the death of Edward VII, it is entirely feasible that it was 'bit' manufactured (using what was available instead of making a complete new die) and is a real badge. It may well be a manufacturing sample.....???
Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5769.jpg (56.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5760.jpg (76.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5762.jpg (75.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5763.jpg (53.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5767.jpg (48.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5761.jpg (90.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5768.jpg (45.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-04-16, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilans View Post
Hello all,
here's some pics of a GRV artillery badge a friend of mine has. Firstly yes it has the flaming section soldered to what looks like a GRV button half, however it has been fire gilded, and given that this process is extremely dangerous and no longer done, I can only assume it is an old badge.
The soldering and lugs are professionally done and the badge shows wear consistent to its age. Also the fire gilt is clearly seen over the solder. so the badge was manufactured and then gilded.
My thoughts are that this is a genuine example of the badge, factory made and not faked up. Given that it was worn for only three years, and there was probably a rush to make this badge after the death of Edward VII, it is entirely feasible that it was 'bit' manufactured (using what was available instead of making a complete new die) and is a real badge. It may well be a manufacturing sample.....???
Geoff
Awesome! Thanks Geoff. I really don't know what to think about these now.

I wonder if it was made by a jeweller to order by one of the RAA officers, their stuff was still private purchase or purchase on repayment in those days.

Cheers, Keith
Old 11-04-16, 07:08 AM

Geoff, can you elaborate on the three years you think it was worn? Reason I ask is that RAAHS of WA have a photo of an RAA officer (Manchester) dated Feb 1916 where he is wearing an EVIIR grenade, and I have oxidised and bronzed examples of the same which places them about late 1916/early 1917 at least for manufacture.

I know existing stocks were issued until exhausted before new patterns were issued - however anything from December 1916 onwards needs to be in oxidised.

Keith
Old 13-04-16, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Geoff, can you elaborate on the three years you think it was worn? Reason I ask is that RAAHS of WA have a photo of an RAA officer (Manchester) dated Feb 1916 where he is wearing an EVIIR grenade, and I have oxidised and bronzed examples of the same which places them about late 1916/early 1917 at least for manufacture.

I know existing stocks were issued until exhausted before new patterns were issued - however anything from December 1916 onwards needs to be in oxidised.

Keith
Keith I am going on what Cossum has stated in his book ....worn from 1911 to 1914. However I have had another thought. Do you think it is likely that this badge may have been produced for the coronation contingent in 1911? It makes sense that any artillery member of that contingent should wear the badge of the King i.e. George V, and hence the possibility that they were in fact jeweler made in small numbers for those men? Anyway just a thought
A photo of the artillery men of that contingent may solve the riddle? Does anyone have pictures of Artillerymen of the contingent?
Old 13-04-16, 07:45 AM

I don't think we sent any troops to the 1911 Coronation because of the expense, only the pollies went. There was a mob of senior cadets from NSW but I believe they went via public subscription and weren't strictly a coronation contingent.

You are probably on the right track though, perhaps Australian officers like Bridges who had extended tours of duty or were doing courses in the UK prior to the Great War had them made up.

Keith