British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-17, 02:49 PM

Default Commando Carrier

"Perfidious Albion" or "Rusty B" - but which ship? I think the photo was taken in Singapore - the keen eyed can spot an RAF Beverley landing. Mike
ima851.jpg
Old 15-09-17, 07:57 PM

If you have the picture, you might be able to make out the the area that I have circled? It might not be clear, but there is a recognition letter that will identify which ship it is. I hope you don't mind me using your photo?

Out of interest, the phrase "Perfidious Albion" comes from a poem in, I believe, the 1971-72 commissioning book. Her correct "nickname" is "The Old Grey Ghost of the Borneo Coast"

Anyway, I wish you luck in your quest to identify which of these fine ships it is.

Andrew

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:20 PM.
Old 15-09-17, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
If you have the picture, you might be able to make out the the area that I have circled? It might not be clear, but there is a recognition letter that will identify which ship it is. I hope you don't mind me using your photo?

Out of interest, the phrase "Perfidious Albion" comes from a poem in, I believe, the 1971-72 commissioning book. Her correct "nickname" is "The Old Grey Ghost of the Borneo Coast"

Anyway, I wish you luck in your quest to identify which of these fine ships it is.

Andrew
Andrew,
Many thanks. I tried and failed. I have an image of HMS Bulwark I took in HK in Jun 67 - the Island (?) on the starboard side is clearly marked with number R08, but it's not repeated on the port side. Did you see the Beverley - 2 o'clock from the top of the funnel.
Mike
Old 16-09-17, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Andrew,
Many thanks. I tried and failed. I have an image of HMS Bulwark I took in HK in Jun 67 - the Island (?) on the starboard side is clearly marked with number R08, but it's not repeated on the port side. Did you see the Beverley - 2 o'clock from the top of the funnel.
Mike
Mike,

Again, I have borrowed your image and circled (in red) where the Beverley is. It would be easy to miss.

Ok, I have studied your picture and I think the answer lies with The two landing craft on the port side (circled in yellow). If you can make the pennant numbers out, B for Bulwark and L for Albion.

Andrew

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:20 PM.
Old 16-09-17, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Mike,

Again, I have borrowed your image and circled (in red) where the Beverley is. It would be easy to miss.

Ok, I have studied your picture and I think the answer lies with The two landing craft on the port side (circled in yellow). If you can make the pennant numbers out, B for Bulwark and L for Albion.

Andrew
Andrew,
The two LCM: B3 and B4. Rusty B it is. Many thanks. Final question - what is the significance of the long white pennant? Length of commission? Mike
Old 16-09-17, 08:29 PM

Paying off pennant.

Traditionally, the paying off pennant is the length of the ship plus a foot for each year of the commission.
Old 16-09-17, 09:43 PM

Your paying off pennant looks like a scratch in the negative to me, and could the Beverley be a de Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 17-09-17, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Your paying off pennant looks like a scratch in the negative to me, and could the Beverley be a de Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou?

Rgds, Thomas.
Could be - I only have a 6 x 4 inch print. And you could well be right - that "cranked" fuselage is a signature of the Caribou. Having said Beverley, I couldn't recall them operating further East than Aden and the Radfan. I'll look into Caribou - maybe the fledgling Singapore Air Force operated them? Mike

Afternote: I spoke too soon! The DHC-4 only has a single tail fin - the Beverley has twin fins.

Last edited by Mike Jackson; 17-09-17 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Revised opinion!