British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-11, 03:08 PM

Default Boer cyclist

This appears to be an original print possibly from a book, so I guess its long out of copyright.

I bought it for the bicycle more than anything else, but it started me wondering if every unit in the Boer war would have used cyclist Dispatch riders?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 336.jpg (56.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 24-04-11, 05:27 PM

Hello Rob......

The badge at the bottom is: Cape Colony Cyclist Corps

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boer War Badges 007.jpg (83.2 KB, 54 views)
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 24-04-11, 08:28 PM

Hi Mike

Thats a lovely badge

Rob.
Old 25-04-11, 11:59 AM

Some of the volunteer regiments, such as the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles (as shown in the picture) had their own cycle sections. Apparently, cycling was a very popular (and still fairly new) sport at the Cape in the 1890s, so there were plenty of enthusiasts around.

There's a photo of the DEOVR cycle section riding on tandems which have been welded together side by side to fit on a railway track. This photo appears in a number of books, but is seldom captioned correctly - it's usually captioned as being Australian troops, probably because the DEOVR wore smasher hats, which tend to be associated with Oz.

The Cape Colony Cyclist Corps was one of several units formed in response to Gen Hertzog's invasion in December 1900. My impression is that it was a combat unit rather than despatch riders - they simply used their bikes for transport in muh the same way that mounted rifles used horses.

Arthur
Old 25-04-11, 01:35 PM

Not only in South Africa, a lot of the volunteer units in this country had cyclist sections or indeed companies.
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cyc.jpg (35.6 KB, 40 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-09-17, 01:03 PM

The Cape Colony Cyclist Corps was actually, a quite large SAMIF unit, whilst it had officially been raised as Class D1 Corps, under the direct control of the GOC Cape Colony, for service only in that Colony, some of it's number did serve beyond the border until Vereeniging.
At the point of it's inception, in Cape Town, on the 27th of December 1900, it's strength was four Companies.
Formal disbandment came on the 30th of June 1902 at Middleburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
Some of the volunteer regiments, such as the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles (as shown in the picture) had their own cycle sections. Apparently, cycling was a very popular (and still fairly new) sport at the Cape in the 1890s, so there were plenty of enthusiasts around.

There's a photo of the DEOVR cycle section riding on tandems which have been welded together side by side to fit on a railway track. This photo appears in a number of books, but is seldom captioned correctly - it's usually captioned as being Australian troops, probably because the DEOVR wore smasher hats, which tend to be associated with Oz.

The Cape Colony Cyclist Corps was one of several units formed in response to Gen Hertzog's invasion in December 1900. My impression is that it was a combat unit rather than despatch riders - they simply used their bikes for transport in muh the same way that mounted rifles used horses.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 14-09-17 at 12:54 PM.
Old 14-09-17, 12:36 PM

Further to Peter's post herewith the Cyclist Section of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Royal Fusiliers.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2VB Cyclists.jpg (62.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 14-09-17, 12:50 PM

Not every unit, but, there was certainly no bicycle shortage during the Anglo Boer War, for example, in the Cape Colony alone, once the declaration of martial law had been made, a great many were requisitioned, after the enemies capitals were occupied, the former republic's were subject to new administration and more still were simply confiscated.

In the British Army, the City Imperial Volunteers, for example, were very keen on bicycles, but, quite frankly, I would prefer the reassurance of four hooves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
This appears to be an original print possibly from a book, so I guess its long out of copyright.

I bought it for the bicycle more than anything else, but it started me wondering if every unit in the Boer war would have used cyclist Dispatch riders?
Old 14-09-17, 03:11 PM

Smile

Not forgetting the English Composite Cyclist Corps, a little heard of corps in the Boer War.
Old 14-09-17, 06:46 PM

Have really enjoyed reading this thread as I am very interested in this subject.

Would like to post photos of this Boer War period title as I have been unable to identify and had wondered if it may be cyclist related.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hope this is of interest.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0443.jpg (54.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.jpg (52.3 KB, 5 views)