British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-16, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

If you mean the Welch Regt, then the copies are not identical as the way they made are different.

It is bi-colour.

You are correct that as a copy then it would not be suitable for sale on the forum even as a gap filler.
Old 19-10-16, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
If you mean the Welch Regt, then the copies are not identical as the way they made are different.

It is bi-colour.

You are correct that as a copy then it would not be suitable for sale on the forum even as a gap filler.
Thanks you for the prompt reply Alan.

The badge I own is shown in the attached thread where one that appears to be the same was classed as a genuine Gaunt of uncertain date.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ighlight=Welch

Jerry
Old 19-10-16, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Chris literally wrote the book on these ones so I would ask him as he knows far more than me.

it's personal choice but I would always go for the maker marked one rather than the unmarked impressed one.

Alan
Old 19-10-16, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris literally wrote the book on these ones so I would ask him as he knows far more than me.

it's personal choice but I would always go for the maker marked one rather than the unmarked impressed one.

Alan
Thanks again Alan.

Hopefully Chris will notice this thread and add a comment.

Jerry
Old 19-10-16, 10:27 AM
Banned

Hi red rags,

the purists would probably say no, I however after 22 years Regular Army service (and another 3 before that in the then TA) say yes, if its worn by the troops I would consider having it in my collection, I suppose each to their own.

Cheers,

FMT600

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rags View Post
The title of this post drew me in...

I am currently a reservist. Some of my units trade badges seem never to have been available, or at least not in the memory of my major unit! I have seen 1 which was manufactured c 1968.

So we normally OFFICIALLY, or with tacit approval, employ Gurkha badges & obtain same via official channels, for those not available as the colours are just reversed.

I have just had made a small batch of a rather obscure one.

If they are the correct colours & ARE being worn when do they qualify as 'official'.

In my humble opinion if a badge is worn it's REAL.
Old 08-01-17, 08:18 PM

We did see some very odd badges in the depot at Bicester when I was there. I personally saw (and have) a Gordons with BY DAND - one of the so called non-existent badges as well as examples from R Leicesters, HLI, Notts and Derby, SWB, Camerons, R Irish Fus and R Innis Fus. We had them on a board to help with recognition when new stocks came in. Clearly these were examples that had been there for aeons as I only started work there in 1983.

Last edited by didithevan; 08-01-17 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 08:25 PM

Interesting.. I took six of these off of the shelves of shed D2 and D1 at COD Bicester in 1983 whilst doing stock reconciliations and obsolescence clearance. I kept one as it was an interesting badge (I wasn't a collector at the time) and have had it since. So, in answer, it must have been authorised for production because it made it to the MOD storage depot and had a NSN. Whether it was ever issued is the question, but as only six were left when I cleared them out there must have been more as MOD never bought badges,especially cheap and cheerful staybrites, in batches of less that 20-30 from my experience - the stock card I recall had held these six as annual checks for so long no other issues were recorded.

Last edited by didithevan; 08-01-17 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-01-17, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didithevan View Post
Interesting.. I took six of these off of the shelves of shed D2 and D1 at COD Bicester in 1983 whilst doing stock reconciliations and obsolescence clearance. I kept one as it was an interesting badge (I wasn't a collector at the time) and have had it since. So, in answer, it must have been authorised for production because it made it to the MOD storage depot and had a NSN. Whether it was ever issued is the question, but as only six were left when I cleared them out there must have been more as MOD never bought badges,especially cheap and cheerful staybrites, in batches of less that 20-30 from my experience - the stock card I recall had held these six as annual checks for so long no other issues were recorded.
Which badge mentioned above are you specifically referring to here mate?

Thanks

Bess
Old 23-02-17, 08:33 PM

The HLI and Gordons badges were the ones I was referring to. Mentioned by Alan O quite early in this chain. Someone authorised them as they were on the shelves of an MOD site!
Old 01-03-17, 07:27 PM

didithevan, I worked in Shed D2 (Clothing Detail) in the early 70's and at that time many Kings Crown badges were still in stock. Shed D1 was Bulk Storage so less stock was seen open on bins (shelves)

You were lucky to even get close the badges section as they were then the domain of two very protective civi ladies, as believe it or not the most popular badges to go missing were RAOC, WRAC & RPC (for replacement wear) not the more exotic ones as not many who worked there were collector's! I did see more than a few batch issues of badges for military displays go thru the system however, and in later years of service never returned to Bicester, or never to the sheds anyway.

I have about 12, 'as new' 2 piece 'FIRMIN LONDON' many still wrapped in tissue paper RAOC cap badges for sale to RAOC Association members for wearing, not collecting that are still in demand by ex RAOC soldiers.

One thing I am really after are RAOC sealed working patterns of any kind, as not many see the light of day for some reason!

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 01-03-17 at 07:38 PM.
Old 13-09-17, 04:06 PM

From West Yorkshire Man,,,, How does this badge differ from the 9th, Queens Royal lancers Badge ?. I only ask as I am looking at one on line at the moment.
Old 14-09-17, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Yorkshire Man View Post
From West Yorkshire Man,,,, How does this badge differ from the 9th, Queens Royal lancers Badge ?. I only ask as I am looking at one on line at the moment.
All the 9th Lancers badges have a blank slider. As far as im aware nobody has come across a maker marked one.
I dont think Chris came across any evidence to say that the badge received authorisation .
Old 14-09-17, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
All the 9th Lancers badges have a blank slider. As far as im aware nobody has come across a maker marked one.
I dont think Chris came across any evidence to say that the badge received authorisation .
Hi Mike,

Never found any authorisation info for this item.

Regards,

Chris
Old 14-09-17, 10:07 AM

Whilst no documentation for the anodised aluminium 9th Lancers badge has been identified, there is an unusual anomaly with this badge. If we assume that it is something manufactured outside of usual MOD contracts that are recorded, what is odd is that there are also anodised aluminium collar badges for this regiment.

I have seen a few of the cap badges over the years and they all present generally in immaculate condition which would tend to support the theory that they were not issued in the traditional sense - or perhaps ever worn.

Whilst I cannot back up my theory with any credible evidence, I would suspect that they may have been made for recruits but clearly never issued and ordered outside of the usual procurement processes (this may explain why they are all in very good condition). It may also explain the collar badges being existence. I suspect that this badge is not a fake in its own right but made and never issued. Off the top of my head, I cant think of any other faked anodised collar badges. A huge expense for little return.

I did contact the 9/12L association on one occasion. My enquiry was if the 9th and 12th Lancers anodised badges ever worn by any of the members to their recollection? The reply was that they were worn in training by recruits. Well . . . perhaps. I wasn't wholly convinced. The anodised 12th Lancers however also have collars and indeed anodised titles, but they too present in pristine condition.

We do know that anodised badges were issued to recruits only to be discarded for brass badges once at the regular Battalions. A good example of this practice being the Loyal Regt - which I understand tends to explain the scarcity of the Kings Crown example of this anodised aluminium cap badge.

As ever chaps, more than happy to be corrected.

Regards all

Bess
Old 14-09-17, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

There is no correlation between a/a collars and cap badges. Collars were often sealed and made in a/a long before cap badges as stocks of collars were often smaller, and thus used up faster, than cap badges. Same goes for a/a buttons.