British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-12, 10:58 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. The badge is cap badge sized, it has a good strike and the lugs show signs of use and have a dark patina.

The seller is a well known and active forum member.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 06-08-12, 03:12 PM

Phil here's 3 from my collection which show the details,the lugged single white metal belonged to Sergeant Woodyear and still has it's green felt,the silvered one has a crimped slider and has been silvered by the same method as the dial of grandfather clocks were silvered probably as an economy and the gilding metal one was bought direct from the family of the soldier it has a replaced slider.The only noticeable difference I can see are the lugs on the one you are offered are closer together than Woodyear's one.Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCB 034.jpg (73.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg CCB 037.jpg (88.2 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by RMR; 06-08-12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 07:44 PM

I'm not a Infantry buff, but interested in the thread as I have had a die-cast example for a while but have no clue to its authenticity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8th_IOW Rifles_blk.jpg (35.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 8th_IOW Rifles_blk_rear.jpg (38.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 24-03-13, 10:37 PM

Another one has arrived. This time a larger badge. Photos for comparison. Die struck with slider non-voided under scroll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.jpg (65.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0442.jpg (68.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0443.jpg (58.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0444.jpg (58.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-05-13, 12:32 PM

Default Isle of Wight VTC and Broderick cap badges

Just received these this morning with thanks to Tim for putting me on to Rod Flood (Minden Militaria) both of these badges are hard to find and eventho the one worn on the Broderick cap is well worn it's better than not having one.Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg secretan 014.jpg (101.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg secretan 015.jpg (91.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 21-08-13, 05:15 PM

Default Isle of Wight Rifles

Received this badge in the mail today. If it's an original it would be tough to find one in better shape. I think it's good but am wondering what the Forum thinks... Jim
Old 21-08-13, 05:22 PM

Old 21-08-13, 06:54 PM

Hi Jim. I posted one very similar earl this year. But was told that, the central tower should only touch in the WM version. The blackened one, should only have the two outer towers touching.

Don't hold me to that, as I'm sure someone will conform either way; that knows this badge better.

I kept my sample that's the same as your.........just in case.....

Regards

Simon.
Old 23-08-13, 07:15 AM

[QUOTE=LONGSHANKS;225061]Hi Jim. I posted one very similar earl this year. But was told that, the central tower should only touch in the WM version. The blackened one, should only have the two outer towers touching.

Don't hold me to that, as I'm sure someone will conform either way; that knows this badge better.

I kept my sample that's the same as your.........just in case.....

Regards
Old 23-08-13, 07:20 AM

Hopefull I have attached an image of an I o W Rifle that I bought on a blue double snake buckled belt with several other WW1 badges that proved to be correct. The middle turret on this one doesn't connect although this doesn't necessarily mean that badges from another die didn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010074.jpg (25.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 23-08-13, 04:01 PM

Here are a couple more for you to compare against one slidered & one with lugs (collar?) or just another variant, actually I think this is bronze so could be Officers collar! enjoy all the best billy
Old 19-10-14, 03:19 PM

Hello. Looking through my collection i was sure i had one of these "IoW Rifles badges and finally found it. The badge is 100% original but now is showing its age, it looks as though the two end castle turrets are conected and the midle turret is not but unsure due to metal decay i enclose pictures of the front and back for members to compare.
Thanks
Peter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISLE OF WIGHT RIFLES.jpg (87.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg ISLE OF WIGHT RIFLES (Reverse) (1).jpg (63.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg ISLE OF WIGHT RIFLES (Reverse) (3).jpg (89.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 30-03-15, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

This is mine for comparison. I am confident that it is correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iow.JPG (62.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg iow2.JPG (64.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 30-03-15, 06:32 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEM7591 View Post
Hello. Looking through my collection i was sure i had one of these "IoW Rifles badges and finally found it. The badge is 100% original but now is showing its age, it looks as though the two end castle turrets are conected and the midle turret is not but unsure due to metal decay i enclose pictures of the front and back for members to compare.
Thanks
Peter.
Peter,
to be honest I would not be as confident as you that it is "100% Original", the poor reverse detail when compared to others leaves me with some uncertainty and the colour of the rear is also ringing alarm bells, when the front look pristine!

Best Regards

Andy
Old 28-03-17, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

https://isleofwightrifles.org.uk/introduction.php

A good source of WW1 era photos including black cap badges on khaki and w/m on their green No1 Dress.

The Regt converted to RA in 1937 until disbandment in 1967. They appear to have retained their cap badges in 1937 and not adopted the RA one but I have yet to find confirmation of its use post WW2. There were further amalgamation in the 1950s/60s which may have forced a change.

'The Rifles were permitted to retain the original battalion cap badge and black buttons, also they were allowed to retain their green and black ceremonial dress, the latter earning them the nickname of 'The Green Gunners,' they were the only unit of the Royal Artillery to have this distinction. The unit also continued to be affiliated to the 54th East Anglian Division, with whom it had been associated through its overseas service in the Great War. At the beginning of May, 1937, the infantry side of things was finally wound up and the serious business of conversion had begun. At this time the unit had a total strength of seventeen officers and two hundred and seventy other ranks.'

Last edited by Alan O; 28-03-17 at 03:41 PM.