British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-15, 04:52 PM

Default Identity Disc

From a British privately purchase engraved metal wrist (?) chain identity disc found recently on a World War 2 battlefield:

R. J. TINKER
S.T.O XX
KX 151122

Possibly RN/RM? Any ideas please (the KX is definitely KX, although I believe EX was a RM personal number prefix) Thanks. Mike.
Old 29-03-15, 10:09 AM

Hello Mike,

I believe he was indeed Royal Navy; I just did a Google search and found this: http://www.godfreydykes.info/ROYAL%2...RATINGS%5D.htm

Hopefully this is of some assistance.

Best,

Marcus

PS Look for the ''Stoker'' rank information.
Old 29-03-15, 11:25 AM

Default ID Disc

Marcus,
Outstanding. I can now reveal that this item was found very recently in consequence of the very high tides on the Normandy coast - it was found on Gold Beach. I'll now have to find out if Bob Tinker survived the war and whether it is possible to decipher the hallmarks on the silver ID disc (which was presented to him in 1942 by his friends from the "Pack" (Probably Pack Horse Inn) Macclesfield. Thanks very much for your help. Mike
Old 29-03-15, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Marcus,
Outstanding. I can now reveal that this item was found very recently in consequence of the very high tides on the Normandy coast - it was found on Gold Beach. I'll now have to find out if Bob Tinker survived the war and whether it is possible to decipher the hallmarks on the silver ID disc (which was presented to him in 1942 by his friends from the "Pack" (Probably Pack Horse Inn) Macclesfield. Thanks very much for your help. Mike
You're most welcome, Mike. A very interesting find - please do update this thread as you find out more.

Best,

Marcus
Old 29-03-15, 04:31 PM

Mike,

Robert Jefferson Tinker was born on the 7th June 1915; his birth was registered in Chorlton in Lancashire. He married in the June quarter of 1948 and his marriage was registered in Littlewood Barton in Lancashire. His death was registered in Whitehaven in Cumbria in 1993. He had reached the age of 73. Unfortunately his service record is not in the public domain.

I am 99.9% certain that he is your man as the only other R.J. Tinker was born in 1880.

The letters S.T.O. on the disc indicate that he was a stoker. He seems not to have included his religious denomination but that would have been on his issued I.D. tags.

Simon.
Old 29-03-15, 04:34 PM

Simon,
Very many thanks. That is extremely helpful. I'll pass on your findings to the man who found the ID disc,
Mike
Old 02-04-15, 02:05 PM

Default ID Disc

The finder has now given me permission to post images of the ID disc on the Forum - as a merci beaucoup to those who helped identify details of the former owner. I have asked for a close up of the silver hallmarks. Mike
20150330_Bob Tinker.01.jpg20150330_Bob Tinker.02.jpg
Old 02-04-15, 03:10 PM

Try again! Mike
Old 02-04-15, 04:59 PM

The assay marks are very difficult to read but appear to be from L to R.
The Lion Passant standard mark, the Newcastle Assay Office and either a C or a G. The C would represent 1938 and the G 1942.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150330_Bob%20Tinker_01.jpg (12.4 KB, 11 views)