British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-17, 04:17 PM

Default Special Force 1945

This was part of a remarkable hoard of insignia retained by a former Int Corps Sgt who had served in SEAC, XV Indian Corps and Special Force. The hoard finally saw the light of day in June 2015. It's the only example of the title that I have seen. Mike
Attachment 178133
Old 20-09-17, 04:42 PM

Mike,

The system says the link does not work.

Jon
Old 20-09-17, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Mike,

The system says the link does not work.

Jon
Ditto

Jerry
Old 20-09-17, 05:00 PM

Default Special Force

Apologies gentlemen. Herewith. Mike
Int Corps Hoard.05.jpg
Old 20-09-17, 07:03 PM

Not heard of that one ... any background Mike?
Wasn't SOE in Italy sometimes also called 'Special Force' or am I getting confused?
Mike
Old 20-09-17, 07:09 PM

Google turned this up ...

http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb/BIC.htm

Very interesting
Mike
Old 21-09-17, 09:20 AM

Default Special Force

My comprehensive reply has disappeared into cyberspace, so here is a summary. The reference document is "Operational record of Eleventh Army Group and ALFSEA November 1943 - August 1945". No date of publication but almost certainly late 1945.

"Page 19. Chapter III, Section 4

The 3rd Indian Division.

1. This Division absorbed and succeeded Gen Wingates' Long Range Penetration Group, popularly known as the Chindits. By November 1943 there were six Long Range Penetration (LRP) Brigades- known as the Special Force; later they became 3 Indian Division. The Division consisted of :

14 Inf Bde

16 Inf Bde

23 Inf Bde

77 Indian Inf Bde

111 Indian Inf Bde

3 (West African) Inf Bde

These formations were trained, organised and equipped by Gen Wingate, to give maximum mobility in jungle fighting. Operations began on the night of 5/6 March 1944 and concluded in mid-May 1944.

More detail can be readily found in Len Whittaker's STOPA. I would comment that it was unusual for an item of insignia, such as the Special Force title, to be worn, given that this name was confidential and 3 Indian Inf Div was the cover title to conceal the LRP role. Mike
Old 21-09-17, 09:26 AM

I should have added that, adding to the confusion, the same Operational Report has an Annex on Special Forces (plural) which covers V Force, Z Force and Force 136. And, as has been mentioned earlier, there was the so-called No 1 Special Force active in the Mediterranean theatre.
No 1 Special Force Pass CSM OE Jones.01.jpg
Old 21-09-17, 10:23 AM

Hi Mike
Many thanks for the very informative response. I had not made the connections which your notes kindly draw out. Clearly I need to do more research in this area. Reference to Commando Companies etc associated with Chindit columns stimulated my interest some time ago but I got side tracked and need to look into the Far East Theatre of war more diligently. Your summary is very useful thank you.

Regarding No.1 Special Force (Mediterranean)
I have a book called 'From Capri into Oblivion' by Adrian Gallegos - yet to be read - I believe it relates to second in command of the Mediterranean based 'No.1 Special Force', his capture and escapes. I could do with super powers to read and digest numerous books still on my 'to be read' list.

Sometimes I find the names given to these various irregular units confusing. Thanks for providing clarification.

Mike
Old 21-09-17, 10:59 AM

Default Special Force

A little more from the same source (Appendix G to Part 1):

"Reorganisation of Formations, November 1944.

As a result of experience in the use of 3 Indian Division, Gen Giffard decided that the future role of such a forces should be either: a. To provide mobile Infantry Brigades, specially equipped, to make turning movements away from roads, or to protect flanks in exceptionally difficult country, or b. Deeper penetration as a special force , capable of continuous mobile operations for long periods.

In July 1944 Gen Giffard decided that the Special Force, now to be called "Penetration Brigades" would have to be limited to three brigades.

[Paragraphs on the formation of 44 Indian AB Div]

It had been decided early in 1944, that Divisions organised and equipped for special roles were wasteful. Accordingly an organisation for a standard Division was fixed..............By November 1944 all Divisions, apart from the Special Force , had been , or were being, reorganised."
Old 21-09-17, 11:48 AM

Mike
Excellent Information.
That will be the same General Sir George Giffard who according to B Lett in 'Ian Fleming and SOE's Operation Postmaster' was very obstructive, but quick to claim praise, when Maid Honor Force achieved their secretive coup in capturing the Italian liner Duchessa d'Aosta, and German vessels Likomba and Bibundi from the Spanish neutral Santa Isabel Harbour, Fernando Po, West Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Giffard

Lett writes: "Congratulations ... poured in from every quarter.... Even General Giffard wrote to congratulate Laversuch and the Maid Honor Force, though by late March 1942 he was again recording that he was 'unhappy and seriously disturbed about the activities of SOE', suggesting they be disbanded or placed under his command, because as things stood, they were 'a menace to the safety of the colony'."

Interesting how these names crop up ... perhaps a 'conventionalist'.
Mike
Old 21-09-17, 06:03 PM

Thanks Mike for sharing this rare badge and its history.

Jerry