British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-17, 10:08 AM

Default Airborne Painted title

An unusual form of manufacture. Comments welcome.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AIRBORNEpaintedST1 Rob.jpg (46.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg AIRBORNEpaintedST1b Rob.jpg (39.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 29-11-17, 12:32 PM

Seems iffy to me and apart from the disputed waterproof version, it reminds me of copies I have seen for other titles.

Jerry
Old 29-11-17, 01:57 PM

Jon, it looks similar to the one presented in O. Lock's book. You can find a pair for sale here http://www.regimentals.co.uk/viewphoto.php?x=0
I have never seen these on a BD blouse but it doesn't mean they were not issued.
Cheers
Pierre
Old 29-11-17, 02:23 PM

These Airborne titles and also Pegasus's came from the tailors shop as described in O.Locks book, they came in rolls but many did not survive. It is very much doubted that this type was worn
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8109.jpg (88.8 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 29-11-17 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Predictive text error
Old 29-11-17, 02:55 PM

1970`s Fakes and NOTHING will convince me otherwize

Last edited by NEMO; 29-11-17 at 03:01 PM.
Old 29-11-17, 03:03 PM

Do you have evidence they are fakes Michael?
I posted the above with permission from a private collector whom I am sure would like to know if indeed they are spurious
Paul
Old 29-11-17, 03:10 PM

HI Paul , Evidence no , just a gut feeling from a long time collecting British special forces cloth, I will be the first to admit If I am wrong

I just don`t think they are and I believe this passionately, the first time I remember these appearing was just after the release of the film ` Bridge Too Far` and no one I have spoken to remember`s seeing examples BEFORE that date and never seen one in a military museum , I had chance to buy many of these sets years ago and market them for a lot of money as rare prototypes etc etc I did not because i believed them fake and still do today

Last edited by NEMO; 01-12-17 at 01:20 PM.
Old 29-11-17, 03:55 PM

I have to say those black backs always cause me to be cautious. That said - the small red on black 'COMMANDO' does come in a black back variety (one being found on a contemporary nurse cape). Personally, I would look for dative context (such as being found on a cape) before being pursuaded it is correct.
Old 30-11-17, 10:28 PM

Never trusted this type at all.
Old 01-12-17, 02:07 PM

My thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Like several members I'm not convinced.

Jon
Old 03-12-17, 05:01 PM

Default PAINTED AIRBORNE PATCHES

Hi Guys,i posted these pics on the forum before,and before O Locks book came out when there was a forum debate about them.I would just like to say that i bought these from Gary Howard author of America's Finest who stated that he got them from the tailors shop many years ago when it was closing down and he cleared it out and also acquired US patches including Pathfinder patches.Both the Pegasus's and the Airborne strips were stuck together in solid blocks[not rolls] where the oil from the oil cloth had fused them all together and i was actually with him when he was separating them by heating them with a hair dryer.Many pairs were badly damaged in the process and unsaleable.The ones in the pics are some of the better ones.I have seen the copies and they are entirely different to these which are printed on a stiff genuine oil cloth,all the others are just printed on thin soft cotton cloth.It is quite possible they were not used as they were not popular which the troops.the ones Gary got from the taylors aiso have the ghost outline on the back where they were stuck together which all the copies do not have.i am convinced these examples date from the WW2 era although it is entirely possible that they were not sold or even used.
Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1506 (1).jpg (94.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1508.jpg (58.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1509.jpg (56.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1510.jpg (43.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-12-17, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector22 View Post
Hi Guys,i posted these pics on the forum before,and before O Locks book came out when there was a forum debate about them.I would just like to say that i bought these from Gary Howard author of America's Finest who stated that he got them from the tailors shop many years ago when it was closing down and he cleared it out and also acquired US patches including Pathfinder patches.Both the Pegasus's and the Airborne strips were stuck together in solid blocks[not rolls] where the oil from the oil cloth had fused them all together and i was actually with him when he was separating them by heating them with a hair dryer.Many pairs were badly damaged in the process and unsaleable.The ones in the pics are some of the better ones.I have seen the copies and they are entirely different to these which are printed on a stiff genuine oil cloth,all the others are just printed on thin soft cotton cloth.It is quite possible they were not used as they were not popular which the troops.the ones Gary got from the taylors aiso have the ghost outline on the back where they were stuck together which all the copies do not have.i am convinced these examples date from the WW2 era although it is entirely possible that they were not sold or even used.
Steve.
I’m not saying that Gary is lying (maybe they came indirectly to him) but any story can be made up. Would be great to actually see proof instead of the usual heresay

There were a lot of insignia with stories coming from Gary Howard, Harlen Glenn etc after the publication of their books

I don’t have this type in my collection and wouldn’t sell them on my website as I just don’t have confidence in them

Jack
Old 03-12-17, 11:22 PM

Gentlemen,
Photographic evidence is the only proof I would accept, in my collecting of over 45 years I have seen many recently made items sold with impeccable history.

And sources many impossible items 20 30 years ago are to be found on the net and in shops across the globe.

I am not an expert or even claim to now much about airborne items or Commando SAS etc.

But if in doubt best avoided is my opinion. If their is a verified example in regimental museum collection well enough said.

Regards to all.

Stephen