British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-17, 05:29 PM

Default RN Dispatch Rider's Badge

I have recently returned from West Wales where I spent some time at Pembroke Dock investgating what remains of the old Royal Dockyard which existed there and closed in 1926.

An excellent heritage centre has been established in the old Dockyard Chapel. This tells the story of the dockyard itself and tells how, after the closure of the dockyard, the site became the RAFs largest seaplane base.

Amongst the items on display was something which I thought members of the forum might find of interest. Displayed in a glass cabinet was the WWII uniform of a local man who served as a stoker in the Royal Navy. It seems that he also served as a Royal Navy Dispatch Rider as the uniform has a Dispatch Riders badge on the right cuff. There are also photographs on display of the man wearing his uniform complete with the Dispatch Riders badge.

The badge has obviously been privately purchased and it must be admitted that it is not the finest example of badge making ever seen. Such badges were technically illegal but were tolerated during WWII. The badge is in gold wire and consists of a winged wheel above the letters 'D. R.'.

I have two examples of this badge in my own collection - one in gold wire and one embroidered in red. I obtained these from a former RN Dispatch Rider. However, I have never seen an example of this badge in situ on a uniform. I regret that I forgot to make note of the gentleman's name. I have included some images of both the badge and the photograph which shows him wearing it. Sorry about the poor quality of the images but it was hard to get decent pictures because of the glass of the cabinet.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DR badge.jpg (41.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DR badge 2.jpg (61.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DR badge 3.jpg (33.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DR badge 4.jpg (34.8 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Guzzman; 10-08-17 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 10-08-17, 05:46 PM

That's very interesting, I notice he is wearing several medal ribbons in the photo, would that indicate when the picture was taken?

Rob
Old 10-08-17, 06:42 PM

Very interesting, thanks for showing that. Looks like the first 2 ribbons are '39-45 Star & F&G Star. Must be a post-WWII photo.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 10-08-17, 07:24 PM

Default RN Dispatch Rider's Badge

The picture was probably taken sometime between 1945 and 1948 as it was in the latter year that the Admiralty ordered all unauthorised badges be removed from uniform. I guess he probably left the navy before 1948 since his uniform retains the badge.

Pete
Old 10-08-17, 08:38 PM

Great piece of insignia. In addition to having a photo of said in use. I particularly like the apparent handmade quality of the badge.
Old 11-08-17, 12:53 PM

Pete
Many thanks for sharing. If there are staff on site I bet if you emailed them they would get a name for you
You will know better than me but I wondered if this was the link
http://www.sunderlandtrust.com/
All the best
Mike