British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-08-14, 12:24 PM

Ah, OK. General Assault badge. I have one of those. I'm only missing the close combat clasp.

Cheers Mike
Old 17-08-14, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
The others comprised two Iron Crosses (the basic design without swords, oakleaves etc!), a motherhood medal, two Close Combat badges, a Luftschutz medal and half of a sniper's lanyard badge. Essentially undisturbed since 1945 and retrieved from Germany by an RASC Lt Col. Mike

Hi Mike,

When you attain the reverse pictures I'll also see if I can assist, since I am a former collector of TR medals and badges. With the first class Ostvolker awards there are if I recall correctly by classification three main distinctive types of which there are two variations of each grade; that is, by collector definition in die flaws, details, etc.

The Close Combat Clasps depending on their grade of either gold, silver or bronze, and subsequently the maker of such will determine as to their value and desirability; not forgetting the condition, too.

The Mothers Cross, do you recall, other than the blue and white enamel the colour of the actual frame? It would be gold, silver or bronze.

The ''sniper'' lanyard would likely be a marksmanship example; the Luftshutz medal would depend on the very example of the award and I would have to see that. Unfortunately, the Ostvolker and Luftschutz, and Mutterkreuz aren't/weren't really my forte or thing I collected. I focused mostly on the Army awards and the Iron Crosses with an eclectic mix of Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine badges, too.

However, the two ''Iron Crosses'' you mentioned and thus further noted they were devoid of the additional devices of the Swords and Oakleaves; did you mean they were the Iron Cross 2nd Class, or are they Knights Crosses that do not comprise of the devices that could be subsequently awarded?

Now, to anyone reading this, I am going to post a couple of pictures pertinent to the cause of this thread. So, if TR awards and medals offend you, please refrain from viewing any further - I do not wish to offend anyone or cause any contention on this Forum.

Mike, the award on the left is a Knights Cross (RK); the middle example is an Iron Cross 2nd Class (EK2); and, lastly the cased medal on the far right is the Iron Cross 1st Class (EK1).

Also, I've taken some close ups of the soldered loops on the top of the frames to distinguish the RK from the EK2; I hope I haven't taught you to suck eggs and that is not my intention, hence, I sincerely apologise if my fundamental ''guide'' is not exactly warranted.

Kind regards,

Marcus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RKEKgroup.jpg (36.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Marcus H; 17-08-14 at 02:57 PM.
Old 17-08-14, 02:38 PM

Top picture, RK; bottom picture, EK2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RKjunckerzinc.jpg (69.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 17-08-14, 02:46 PM

Quote:
It features crossed bayonet and stick grenade. Mike
Mike/Simon,

Both the Close Combat Clasp and General Assault badge feature the grenade and bayonet.

The CCC is thin and long - for the want of a better description - and the GAB is an oblate oval shape; I have pictures of both also, but I'll leave it there with the pictures.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Last edited by Marcus H; 17-08-14 at 03:33 PM.
Old 18-08-14, 12:56 PM

I'd like to think we're above making adverse comments to Third Reich military insignia as they're being posted as part of historical research.

Am I being too naive?
Old 18-08-14, 07:42 PM

If I remember correctly someone got a bit upset that somebody else had posted a german medal/badge here before you joined.

Andy
Old 19-08-14, 12:48 AM

The only thing I find offensive with these is the smell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6371.jpg (60.0 KB, 66 views)

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 19-08-14, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
If I remember correctly someone got a bit upset that somebody else had posted a german medal/badge here before you joined.

Andy
In that case it's up to the rest of us to disabuse anyone of the notion that any badge is being posted to annoy another member and that it's purely for historical research.

To my mind there's no way we should be having annoyed comments 70 years after the end of WW2.
Old 19-08-14, 01:43 PM

I couldn't agree anymore Hussar. I have a few Axis combat awards collected for not the symbol on them, but for what you had to go through as an infantryman to get one.

Hence why I'd like to get the Close Combat Clasp as that was eye to eye to get one.

Simon.
Old 19-08-14, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
I couldn't agree anymore Hussar. I have a few Axis combat awards collected for not the symbol on them, but for what you had to go through as an infantryman to get one.

Hence why I'd like to get the Close Combat Clasp as that was eye to eye to get one.

Simon.
It takes all sorts to make a world Simon. I knew blokes in our band who wouldn't play the German national anthem because of the "they bombed our chip shop" thing. Another wouldn't play the Irish national anthem for obvious reasons.

When you get a crowd of collectors with a deep historical interest, some of whom are historians or intellectuals, there are very few articles which would be offensive. After all, when they restore WW2 aircraft they put the Nazi markings back on them. The IWM is also full of exhibits bearing swastikas, as are many other museums.

Common sense is all it takes and if anyone objects, in my opinion we should be patient with them and educate them as to why it's acceptable here. If they don't accept the explanation then it's up to the moderators and admins to decide what should be done.
Old 01-09-14, 02:32 AM

Hi Guys,

Attached is an image of my silver grade Close Combat Clasp.

It is also shown in Tom Durante's book The German Close Combat Clasp of WWII on pages 82 and 83. Maker is A.G.M.u. K (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Metall und Kunststoff) of Gablonz.

The badge is made of zink with a very heavy silver plate.

It was awarded for 30 days close combat action:

Regards

Chris

PS Ignore the maker on the title - another task to sort out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AGMuK Silver Forum.jpg (51.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by hagwalther; 01-09-14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 06:20 PM

Default PC german insignia collection

Some DAK/Tropical cloth insignia from WWII with nary a swaz in sight to annoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trop cloth scan 1 medium.jpg (86.1 KB, 40 views)

Jerry
Old 26-09-14, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Is there a Forum member who has a knowledge of the metal breast badges worn by the German Armed Forces in the World War 2 period? I'm seeking a couple of identifications. Thanks. Mike
I have a website with basic identifications if that is all one is seeking:

http://tacticalwargamer.com/articles...ecorations.htm