British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-18, 09:14 PM

Default Metal para wing

Friends,

That metal, enamel para wing I have seen worn on the battledress pocket like that by Belgian 5 SAS.

I think it came from the Belgian parachute company as it is a regular British Para Wing, not a SAS wing.

I would be interesting to have more information on this little pocket wing.

I happen to have one of these. See pics.

Cheers,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_1826.jpg (71.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_1828.jpg (71.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-01-18, 09:32 PM

Default Beret badges

Friends,

Late in WW2, during operation Howard (6-29 April 1945) 1st SAS operated in support of Canadian armoured units at the Rhine crossing and in Northern Germany, as recce units in their armoured jeeps.

I am informed some SAS members also have been seen wearing black berets with Royal Tank Regiment badges to be a little less conspicuous or pass for regular soldiers. I am not sure this practice was widespread and some 1st SAS stalwars such as Paddy Mayne would probably not have worn other berets at all.

It is a fact by then the SAS was fully aware of the fate of their comrades in France who were captured and murdered by the Germans in Operation Loyton in the Vosges area and other operations.

Cheers,

Johan
Old 13-01-18, 09:12 PM

My copy arrived today. Haven’t fully read the book yet, but the book’s website suggests the Kommandobefehl was Hitler’s reaction to SAS operations which is incorrect, it was instituted after operation Basalt, the Commando raid on Sark in September 1942. Unfortunately the Kommandobefehl did however lead to war crimes committed against SAS personnel.
The AAC badge as disguise makes sense. 2 SAS AAC badge on maroon beret and 1SAS RTR, or was it RAC? I seem to recall reading somewhere, badge on black beret. RE badge on maroon beret in France?

The photo of Druce’s beret (p. 86) looks unworn and certainly not 70 plus years old, it also seems a post war smaller beret. If he was recruited in May 1944 (by Brian Franks when they met on a train), after the SAS became part of the Airborne forces, wouldn’t he have been issued a maroon beret?
The photo of Druce’s FS knife (p. 89) seems an engraved presentation FS knife. Apart from that, photographic evidence from north-west Europe suggests a preference for the much more versatile American Ka-bar knife.

A pity the Druce top hat and corduroy photo is only described but not shown. Years ago I handled it when contemplating a publication on the SAS in the Netherlands, but wasn’t given permission to use it as the Deelen museum was reserving it for their own publication. With this book out I don’t see the need for another publication on Keystone. A very worthwhile addition to my library and highly recommended.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 14-01-18, 03:26 PM

I agree Thomas the Kommando befehl was after the Sark raid. Did Andy Lassen of then small scale raiding force no 62 commando ans later SBS not participate in that raid?

Thomas, I agree with you the beige beret of Druce in the book is of modern issue as is the badge.

Druce should have had a maroon beret indeed , it can’t be excluded he got hands on a beige one but unlikely. I know one SAS officer that joined December 1943/Jan 1944 from the auxiliary units after Paddy Maines recruitment speach and had a beige beret but that was uncommon and he should have worn maroon.
Old 14-01-18, 06:00 PM

Anders Lassen was indeed at Sark, as were Geoffrey Appleyard and Captain Philip Pinckney, both later SAS. Maybe the website wasn't all that wrong about it.

Beige berets in December 1943/January 1944 doesn't seem that odd to me, as the SAS wasn't added to the AAC until 1st April 1944.

Rgds, Thomas