British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-09, 02:08 PM

Default Prize Badge

When I was at Bordon before Christmas on a Drops Course I picked this badge up off the floor in our accommodation.

It is obviously a modern version of the old prize badges but do they have any authority to be worn and on what dress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TA Badge.jpg (23.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-01-09, 02:11 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by REME245 View Post
When I was at Bordon before Christmas on a Drops Course I picked this badge up off the floor in our accommodation.

It is obviously a modern version of the old prize badges but do they have any authority to be worn and on what dress.
Thats a Territorial Army Badge...... ? First time I have seen it..... odd thing to be lying around on the floor? It looks to be modern ...... the crossed carbines/rifles remind me of C sqn the Royal Yeomanry. What the "50" means I dont know.... 50 years?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-01-09, 02:30 PM

I assume 50 is the score in the shoot.

It had been unpicked from a uniform and disgarded behind a bedside cabinet.

Louisburg barracks where I was staying is used as transit accommindation for SEME and many soldiers both regular and TA pass through.
Old 02-01-09, 02:34 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
I assume 50 is the score in the shoot.

It had been unpicked from a uniform and disgarded behind a bedside cabinet.

Louisburg barracks where I was staying is used as transit accommindation for SEME and many soldiers both regular and TA pass through.
Never seen one myself, or anything like it for the TA. Certainly when I was "in".... it would have been considered a Boy Scout badge and not worn.... maybe times are changing.

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-01-09, 02:37 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Thats a Territorial Army Badge...... ? First time I have seen it..... odd thing to be lying around on the floor? It looks to be modern ...... the crossed carbines/rifles remind me of C sqn the Royal Yeomanry. What the "50" means I dont know.... 50 years?
I believe the "50" - there was also a "100" - is to do with being a good
shot within a battalion/regiment with regard to grouping at a specific distance
- a bit like the difference between the single rifle and crossed rifles arm badges. i.e. many years ago (and this is making me appear old...) I managed a 1" grouping at 100 yards over open sights using a 303 Lee Enfield rifle and got the crossed rifles - the award - of course - probably depends on the type of regiment you are in - ex-infantry guys will know more about this that I do.
There is more on this in the book about arm badge proficiency & insignia - the name escapes me at the moment - and I don't have mine with me.
Old 02-01-09, 03:05 PM
LYPAO Boff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
I believe the "50" - there was also a "100" - is to do with being a good
shot within a battalion/regiment with regard to grouping at a specific distance
- a bit like the difference between the single rifle and crossed rifles arm badges. i.e. many years ago (and this is making me appear old...) I managed a 1" grouping at 100 yards over open sights using a 303 Lee Enfield rifle and got the crossed rifles - the award - of course - probably depends on the type of regiment you are in - ex-infantry guys will know more about this that I do.
There is more on this in the book about arm badge proficiency & insignia - the name escapes me at the moment - and I don't have mine with me.
Sounds about right ..... Little older than it appears then. I would agree that its an Infantry proficiency badge.

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 02-01-09, 04:33 PM

The Army TA 50 badge was introduced by the Army Rifle Association it is awarded to all competitors who have fired in "The Territorial Army Fifty Cup".

The Regular Army version is the Army 100, as shown.

Once awarded these badges may be worn in perpetuity on the left cuff of Service Dress, Number 1 Dress and Number 10 Dress (Mess Dress), as laid down in Dress Regulations. The last badge is on Rifle Green for those who wear it.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 07:50 AM

Does anyone know an introduction date for these badges?
Old 05-01-09, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know an introduction date for these badges?
I wrote my original article in 1993.