British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-09-14, 11:06 PM

Default Cadet Northamptonshire cap badge

Hello All,

This badge is one of several cap badges that was given to me in the mid to late 1970s by my father; the others are array of the more commonly found collars, titles and badges. He obtained most these badges during the war or just after it, although concerning this very badge he doesn't recollect to how he acquired it, at all.

And, I don't seem to be able to find another example on this Forum, so I thought I would post it here for posterity.

Also, as daft as it may sound, I'm not entirely sure what it is? That is to say, my vague understanding is that these ''cadet'' badges are related to perhaps certain grammar schools in a county prior to the development of the ACF?

Kind regards,

Marcus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nton1.jpg (39.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Nton.2.jpg (41.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 11-09-14, 02:54 AM

Default Cadet Northamptonshire

Marcus,

A very nice looking badge, and unusual. I've collected Northants units, amongst others, for many years and never even had a whiff of the existence of this one!

The design is the standard Northants Regt, minus any battle honours.

The school OTC unit at Wellingborough used the same design but with their title replacing 'Cadet' and the blank scroll.

Northampton School had their own design of cap badge being the Arms of the town. Likewise Oundle had their own design, so did King's School Peterborough, and I think (but cannot confirm) that Magdalen College wore the same cap badge as their Oxford counterparts.

Kimbolton adopted the Hunts Cyclists badge.

Kettering School formed a Corps during WW1 but I have no idea of their insignia, so this could be a possible for your badge.

I would therefore think it is a Cadet Corps badge as opposed to it being a Junior Division OTC badge.

Stephen.
Old 11-09-14, 04:10 AM

Thank you very much, Stephen. I appreciate your time and explanation.

Kind regards,

Marcus
Old 11-09-14, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=101077

Magdallen College OTC wore the badge shown in the album.

I suspect that the Northants Cadets badge was worn by the County Cadets rather than a School. There were a number of regional cadet badges worn including Essex, North Riding and Herts. I have yet to pin a date to them but I supect they are post 1930 when all cadets, less Junior Div OTCs, lost WD recognition and funding as part of the Defence cuts. The cadet units were alllowed to continue to wear uniforms on a waste-out basis but all Regular Army badges were to be removed.

This is why the P.S.S.C.A. badges and the Scottish Cadet badges were introduced and it is not illogical that the Regional Cadets followed suit.
Old 11-09-14, 12:47 PM

Default Cadet Northamptonshire

Alan,

I would agree with you only I have yet to trace any non-school cadet units in Northamptonshire pre-1942 (ignoring CLB & BB of course). This seems strange and may just be as a result of poor research!

The Magdalen College School badge is the one I suspect was worn by the OTC at Brackley, although K&K etc. list it as Oxford where there was an OTC of the same name.

Stephen.
Old 11-09-14, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately I have been unable to categorically confirm/deny whether the badge shown in K&K was worn by both Schools or just one. It's not helped by the lack of school title and the fact that the badge is not even an exact match of the founder's arms in the first place.

K&K made a number of errors in the OTC Chapter so there is a large chance that their attribution was not perfect.
Old 14-11-23, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=101077

Magdallen College OTC wore the badge shown in the album.

I suspect that the Northants Cadets badge was worn by the County Cadets rather than a School. There were a number of regional cadet badges worn including Essex, North Riding and Herts. I have yet to pin a date to them but I supect they are post 1930 when all cadets, less Junior Div OTCs, lost WD recognition and funding as part of the Defence cuts. The cadet units were alllowed to continue to wear uniforms on a waste-out basis but all Regular Army badges were to be removed.

This is why the P.S.S.C.A. badges and the Scottish Cadet badges were introduced and it is not illogical that the Regional Cadets followed suit.
The badge in the link is certainly that worn by the Army Section of the Magdalen College School Oxford Combined Cadet Force up to 1967. After that the contingent was affiliated to the Royal Greenjackets and wore their badge.
Old 15-11-23, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Alan,

I would agree with you only I have yet to trace any non-school cadet units in Northamptonshire pre-1942 (ignoring CLB & BB of course). This seems strange and may just be as a result of poor research!

The Magdalen College School badge is the one I suspect was worn by the OTC at Brackley, although K&K etc. list it as Oxford where there was an OTC of the same name.

Stephen.
I have been unable to find a picture of the cap badge worn by the Cadet Corps although Bosleys have sold a Brackley CC s/t.
https://www.regimentalbadges.com/en-...tle/prod_21895
There was a lugged cap Brackley Town cap badge on eBay recently but I suspect that it was civil rather than cadet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-15 08.35.58.jpg (26.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 15-11-23 at 08:36 AM.