British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-14, 09:52 PM

Default Divisional insignia in WW1

Hi

Would divisional insignia, like cloth shoulder patches, been worn in battle in WW1?

Thanks

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 05-04-14, 10:52 PM

Colin,

In brief yes. Cloth Divisional and regimental patches grew in variety and complexity from about 1916 onwards.

regards

Mark
Old 05-04-14, 11:05 PM

Cheers Mark!

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 05-04-14, 11:40 PM

I know very little about cloth insignia. Are there any sites or books that members could recommend for information on cloth insignia worn during WW1?

Thanks

Colin

Old 06-04-14, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
I know very little about cloth insignia. Are there any sites or books that members could recommend for information on cloth insignia worn during WW1?

Thanks

Colin
Hi Colin,the first book you could buy is "British Battle Insignia (1):1914-18
by Mike Chappell in the Osprey Men-at-Arms Series,this one dates back to 1986 but still a good source of basic informations with 8 pages in colours.
Also, there is the "The British Soldier in the 20th Century, Service Dress 1902-1940,also by Chappell, from Wessex Military Publishing, 1987. Not strictly on badges and insignias but some WW1 SD illustrations are shown.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 06-04-14 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-04-14, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
by Mike Chappell in the Osprey Men-at-Arms Series,this one dates back to 1986 but still a good source of basic informations with 8 pages in colours.
Also, there is the "The British Soldier in the 20th Century, Service Dress 1902-1940,also by Chappell, from Wessex Military Publishing, 1987. Not strictly on badges and insignias but some WW1 SD illustrations are shown.

Jo
And John Waring's "Identification Pamphlet No 2 - British Miscellaneous cloth formation signs and titles. Mike
Old 06-04-14, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Hi

Would divisional insignia, like cloth shoulder patches, been worn in battle in WW1?

Thanks

Colin
Players cigarette cards "Army Corps and Divisional Signs" are interesting although not all designs were actually worn on uniforms.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-SET-O...item1c3ebe5de0

Tim
Old 06-04-14, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the advice, gents!

Cheers

Colin

Old 06-04-14, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post

Jo
hi colin,

have to agree with jo on the first book,a good basic book to start with.The 2nd book i have not read so cant comment

philip
Old 07-04-14, 08:09 AM

The book Mike Jackson mentions - Waring Identification Pamphlet No2 - is a superb reference but original copies are extremely difficult to get hold. However, the Military Heraldry Society are slowly republishing these superb references - strictly for members only. There is a whole series of these extensive works, No1 is available, No2 may be out now - if not it must be close to completion. The series covers insignia from across the world -the first two cover British items - illustrating and describing in detail hundreds of items. Others will know more than me about the scope of the total work. I believe there are a dozen or more volumes in total.

The link to the Military Heraldry Society is as follows:

http://www.militaryheraldrysociety.com/founder.html

For colour illustrations - I would agree, Cigarette Cards provide a very useful and extensive source. Our father educated my brother and I with these before we were old enough for school. Kings and Queens of England, Natural History - and of course any number of Military subjects - insignia, uniforms, VC winners etc - a truly great contemporary source.

Mike
Old 07-04-14, 04:39 PM

Colin also try the The Long Long Trail Website (aka Great War Forum) search the threads and you will find multiple photos of insignia in wear and some examples in members collections.

regards

Mark

Quote:

Thanks

Colin
Old 07-04-14, 04:57 PM

Thanks for your suggestions and input, Philip, Mike and Mark!
Much appreciated. This is new territory for me, so very glad for the feedback

Cheers

Colin

Old 07-04-14, 05:09 PM

Default Great War - Formation Signs

Another excellent reference is the book - "Divisional and other Signs" - collected and illustrated by Capt V Wheeler-Holohan, 12th London Regiment - published John Murray, Albermarle Street, W1 1920.
John Murray - the publisher, was also Lt Col John Murray DSO - so the author was, as they say, pushing at an open door when it came time to get his work published. Mike
Old 07-04-14, 05:35 PM

This is what members of the 55th (West Lancashire ) Division were wearing on the backs of their service dress jackets from March 1916, this was in addition to the Divisional signs on their sleeves.

The Service Dress tunic that I have to an officer in the 6th Kings Liverpools had the two green stripes on the back but the Dealer who I bought the tunic from thought they looked rather tatty and so removed them ( to make the tunic more saleable perhaps ?)

You can imagine my thoughts when he told me he had taken the stripes off, mind you he was selling the tunic as a Liverpool Scottish one, despite the Rifles buttons and collar badges.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2488.jpg (36.9 KB, 48 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 07-04-14 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-04-14, 06:33 PM

Default Some Examples

Some examples
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16thDivf.jpg (41.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 9thDivF.jpg (34.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 29thDiv.jpg (32.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 30thDivF.jpg (33.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 37thdiv.jpg (42.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 38thDivF.jpg (64.4 KB, 21 views)