British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-09, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaughton View Post
I am not a medal or badge person and so I need some assistance, if at all possible.

One of our Legion Veterans (Milton, Ontario CANADA) was with the Combined Operations group that landed prior to the main D-Day assault. He has lost one of his medals/badges and he is desperately trying to locate a replacement, so his set will be complete to pass on to his grandson.

We went to the Toronto Military show today to see if we could find someone who knew about the badge/medal and one fellow said he believed it was the "Liberty Badge".

As Art has explained to me, it was given by the French Government to those who entered France via the Normandy beaches. Apparently the back of the medal (that is why I believe it is a medal not a badge) has an image of the 4 Normandy Beaches.

I searched the web and I can not find any mention of this medal. Perhaps the name is wrong? Does anyone have any ideas? I even tried the French Government site and could not find it.

Any assistance for a veteran in need would be appreciated!!

Richard
Here you gou, you can pick these http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DG up on ebay for very little.

ATB,
Tom
Old 13-09-09, 08:35 PM

Thanks for that link Jim, I have printed out some of the information for Art Petty (the vet with Combined Ops). He just got a computer last week, so I will get him to the site! Not bad to start on computers at 84 years of age. The eBay posting was excellent as well.

Tom, I am not sure that is what Art is looking for but I have printed it and will take it to him. I don't recall that he said anything about the return to the beaches to get his, however that may be the case. I am sure once he looks at it he will know if that is the one.

I greatly appreciate you lads jumping in to help Art in his quest.

Richard
Old 14-09-09, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaughton View Post
Thanks for that link Jim, I have printed out some of the information for Art Petty (the vet with Combined Ops). He just got a computer last week, so I will get him to the site! Not bad to start on computers at 84 years of age. The eBay posting was excellent as well.

Tom, I am not sure that is what Art is looking for but I have printed it and will take it to him. I don't recall that he said anything about the return to the beaches to get his, however that may be the case. I am sure once he looks at it he will know if that is the one.

I greatly appreciate you lads jumping in to help Art in his quest.

Richard
It's the only gong I know with the Normandy Beaches on it, if it's not right, let me know and i'll have another root through the files

ATB,
Tom
Old 14-09-09, 04:28 PM

A pair of the Combined Operations badges worn on sleeves of the Combat Smock by members of 148 (Meiktila) Commando Forward Observation Battery Royal Artillery. Both have plastic covered backs.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 15-09-09, 12:16 AM

Thanks Tom, perhaps it is the correct one, Art (Arthur Henry Petty) is not sure. Perhaps his vision is not quite what it was "back then"?

Art was at the reunion, so that is perhaps where he got the medal. I probably misunderstood or did not ask - I assumed it was awarded after the action. The reunion version makes more sense.

I gave Art the images and suggested he give it some further thought, as he was not sure but did not remember the clasps to the ribbon as shown in the image. At 84 I probably would not remember either. Although 27 years my senior, Art generally keeps pace with me on a daily basis and he was with us "on the ground" at the Toronto Military Show with all physical and mental units in fulls swing.

I did find out today that Art was #V54229 with the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve and he tells me all the Canadians served with "W COMMANDO" or otherwise known as "RCN BC" (Beach Commando).

If I was to purchase one of these to replace the one that Art lost, how would I know a real one from a copy? I am not a medal or badge collector of any sort. I am sure Art wants an original to wear with his other medals.

Thanks,

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
It's the only gong I know with the Normandy Beaches on it, if it's not right, let me know and i'll have another root through the files

ATB,
Tom
Old 15-09-09, 01:43 PM

TBH, they were never official and so there is no reason a copy should differ from a "presentation piece", a decent militaria seller should be able to find a first issue 'pukka' one if you want (BTW I can't see any bars in that link I sent you....).

In the UK, it is generally frowned upon (by the A/N/AF and the RBL) to wear anything other than your issued medals on parade so to speak, but perhaps it is different in Canada? I would keep an eye on ebay, that should yield one soon There is often bits and bobs on there like that.

ATB,
Tom
Old 30-09-09, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
A pair of the Combined Operations badges worn on sleeves of the Combat Smock by members of 148 (Meiktila) Commando Forward Observation Battery Royal Artillery. Both have plastic covered backs.
Hi, Found this point very interesting! from reading past posts on several areas of this forum it is obvious that you are very knowlagable on this particular subject but am a bit curious?

From my own experience and observations 148 Cdo Bty NGS wear a Square combined ops badge (and I think you may have quoted this somewhere else on the forum?) the round version have only ever seen on WW2 battledress.

When was the round version worn by 148 bty? just curious and wish to update my knowledge.

Included are some images of square badges, the first one I believe is an older version, the second one is i present use and the round on I've had for years but would like to know if it is genuine?

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 148 Byt A.JPG (80.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 148 Cdo.jpg (38.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 30-09-09, 01:27 PM

Hi,
I have been told that 148 Bty changed over to the round type of CO badge in the last few years.

Prior to this the I believe it was 95 FOU that wore the round type CO badge on the Denison Smocks in the 1960/70's.

Don’t have any of my notes/paperwork handy at the moment so cant be more exact with the dates.

Attached are a couple of photos, not the best quality, showing the variations of the 148 FOU I have in my collection. You will notice that the Royal Marines Museum used to sell a square version that is almost identical in manufacture to the round type in their shop in 1994.

Regards

Danny

148 FOU.jpg
148 FOU
RMM.jpg
148 FOU & RMM

Last edited by Danny; 30-09-09 at 03:53 PM.
Old 30-09-09, 01:47 PM

Default Combined Ops photo

Here is an RCNVR Officer wearing the Combined Ops insignia on his B/D,

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCN VR Commando.jpg (27.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 30-09-09, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
When was the round version worn by 148 bty?
Regards Tony
The round badge, in pairs, is being worn now, at this moment. The image posted is of a pair I obtained about three weeks back. Unfortunately I am unable to find the change over date.
Old 01-10-09, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
The round badge, in pairs, is being worn now, at this moment. The image posted is of a pair I obtained about three weeks back. Unfortunately I am unable to find the change over date.
Cheers 54 Bty and Danny, always nice to update my knowledge, problem with being "out" and a veteran is what I know is rapidly becoming History!

Regards Tony
Old 02-10-09, 01:54 PM

Here is an example on ebay now.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bbt1GE2kKGrHqIH-EYEquE3g54eBKRY9fWFw_12.JPG (28.1 KB, 11 views)