British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-04-18, 12:26 PM

Default M35 HELMET SHELL - REAL OR FAKE

Hello all,

I know this is outside of the remit of the forum but I thought someone might be able to give me advice on this German helmet I am interested in.

Is there anyway to tell if this m35 shell is legit?

Someone has recently highlighted that the air bushings/vents are missing. Does anyone know if this effects the likelihood of it being fake.

I'm also pretty sure that the rivets and washers have been added at a later date.

Can anyone with a keener eye than myself make out the decals?

The stud at the back also appears to be off center, is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180411_224126.jpg (54.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180411_224102.jpg (49.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180411_224036.jpg (49.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180411_224010.jpg (45.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 14-04-18, 12:39 PM

Can't see a lot on phone, check around the inside of the neckguard for impressed lettering and numbers.
Old 14-04-18, 03:24 PM

As Leigh has pointed out look inside the flared neck guard for numbers similar to these.
Tony.

Last edited by tonyb; 24-08-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 14-04-18, 03:30 PM

looks like a original M35 shell. The rivets/vents have been removed though.
Old 14-04-18, 03:37 PM

Having looked at the images on a desktop it appears that the vent fittings have been fitted but are now missing rather than not being fitted in the first place.
The liner studs are presumably just a real or reproduction set that have been slotted on at some point.
A lot of pitting to the helmet although it's not in relic condition, it looks as though it's been repainted at some point, which may or may not be legitimate.
The misplaced hole for the rear liner stud isnt beyond the realm of possibility re. poor quality control, although Id've thought more likely on post M35 patterns.
I only own two German tin lids with "faults", a single decal Luftwaffe M40 with a large blob of brazing inside the neck guard and a no decal M42 which has been stamped out of true so that the lipped raw edge is wider on one side.
Obviously the helmet's overall condition as a less than pristine rust pocked shell minus vent fittings means it's not worth a lot of money to a collector, although any serial numbers and manufacturers codes may have bearing on value to an extent.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 14-04-18 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Because predictive prefers tin kids to tin lids.
Old 14-04-18, 05:07 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I would be looking to get the helmet for around the £40-£45 mark. Does this seem reasonable? Thanks again
Old 14-04-18, 05:31 PM

It'd be better to pay more for one in a more complete condition but £40-45 I think would be okay.
I'd keep it as is, rather than repaint etc, I feel that if people do that then it makes more sense to buy a repro. rather than destroy the originality.
Check for the markings in the neck guard and make sure that the vent fittings have been fitted and "lost" - the British made 1,000 "M35s" during WWII for training purposes, complete with the army shield decals (noticeably poor imitations different to the originals), liners (British but on a German style band), liner studs, and chinstraps but they just had the vent holes stamped through and with no fittings.
If it's one of those then it's scarcer than an M35 and really not something to "restore", although it's not an "SOE helmet" as some sellers have claimed.
Of course, if you're paying the money it's up to you whether you give it a rub down, coat of body filler and a splash of paint. Or beat it with a hammer. Or attack it with an angle grinder...........
Old 14-04-18, 05:48 PM

Thanks again.

I'm not one for repainting, I like the marks as I feel they show history.
Old 14-04-18, 06:08 PM

This'd be a good place to ask for info:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/