British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-12-11, 09:59 PM

Cool Sand cast badges

I would like an idea of what forum members think of sand cast badges, recently I bought a Rifle Brigade KC white metal badge which was extremely well made albeit with a broken slider, from the front it would be difficult to tell whether this was die struck or not.

I have just bought a WWI Jewish Btn Royal Fusiliers badge which again is sand cast and made to a very good standard. Although this can only be described as a copy which it is, as all Btns served in the Middle East in 1918, there is a chance that this could have been made as a replacement badge locally.

I have for years collected sand cast badges when they came along cheaply as I feel that although copies, they were probably worn in service. Do other forum members regard these badges as such?
Old 06-12-11, 10:13 PM

I like the locally made badges, They are just as important in my view. Cast badges can be a bit of a minefield though . Indian badges are faked but as the methods are the same as for the originals they are hard to tell apart.
Old 06-12-11, 10:21 PM

i also like the sand cast badges, although they are copies, made as souvenirs or to be used, they are badges in their own right

I have a sand cast KOSB badge which is not perfect, but I do like just for what it is.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=55615

Albert.
Old 07-12-11, 03:30 AM

Default Sand cast badges

I too have a number of "locally made" / "made in theatre" badges for the Artillery, some crude, others very well made. I must admit though that my thoughts on the validity of some of them varies and as to value, I do not rate them highly! They certainly rate as interesting pieces when viewed as to construction, especially in the area of fixing attachments. Regards, David J.
Old 07-12-11, 09:23 AM

Me too, love locally made examples. Originality would depend on provenance or what other items they came with. I have several that have come with soldiers effects and I'm sure they were worn 'in theatre', an important piece of badge history IMHO
Lee
Old 07-12-11, 01:57 PM

Guys

I find it hard to actually class them as copies, although they are....I know this is an oxymoron but they were worn in the field and as such should be collected and not be passed off as fakes.

A large number were turned out in Egypt during WW2, I even have an artillery cap badge with a turning wheel that was sand casted!

I personally find these highly underated and just wish someone would produce a book on them. In South Africa a large number of lead badges were produced in the Railway Workshops, although a little heavy they filled a gap when brass was needed, most it would appear have been turned into fishing sinkers since the end of the war, hence these are now rather scarce.

Regards
Brian
Old 07-12-11, 05:54 PM

Smile Sand cast validity

Yes, I agree with all of the aforementioned forum members comments, very interesting what Brian said about lead badges being made in the Railway workshops, I have a S.A. Engineers collar badge made in lead which has always been a bit of a mystery to me, so at least one query has been laid to rest.

Rob
Old 08-12-11, 03:47 PM

Rob

The only lead SA badges that have "stood the test of time" regards collectors, are the Natal Scottish badges, as these were unique and there are no brass versions that I know of.

It is strange how many people will be happy to display the NS Badge but will not collect any of the others made at the same time and in the same way?

I personally go out of my way to try and find "nice" examples of these badges as most have had their silver wash rubbed off or they are bent and often the delicate rear lead lugs are missing or broken.

Brian